My pleco disappeared...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay well 2 days ago I bought a bristlenose pleco, and well I searched around for him last night, and figured he was hiding. So then today I still did not see him, so I lifted all the ornaments he could be hiding in. and looked for him to come darting out but he didn't... You can see his tank mates in my sig, and there has been no sign of him carpet surfing, unless a cat ate him once he jumped out....

A missing pleco is not uncommon and your efforts in trying to find him are worthy. He's in there somewhere...probably found a great hiding place that you haven't considered yet. Remember, they also have the ability to change their colors to match their surroundings.

I thought I had lost my sailfin Cliff. I searched for an entire day. I even pulled up the big piece of driftwood...not behind it..hmmm. I then noticed a strange piece of wood that I hadn't noticed before sorta hanging oddly. It was him.

I would doubt that any of his tankmates could have done anything and unless your tank has a very large opening, he wouldn't or couldn't have jumped out.

Just a thought...was 2 days ago the last time you actually saw him? Have you tested your water for an ammonia spike?

They can elude even the trickiest pleco hunters. :wink: Search for him after lights out. You may have a better chance of seeing him if he is still in there. They are nocturnal, and it's quite common to never see them during the day. I don't see mine hardly ever.

Otherwise, sorry for your loss, if he is indeed gone.

I'll join in and agree that they can hide very well, even inside a decoration that you lift out. I have taken structures completely out of the tank for rearranging, left them out for 10-15 minutes, only to find that the pleco was in there the whole time, hanging on for dear life!

I just checked for ammonia and it was ) then decided to pick up the treasure chest in my tank and lookinto it more carefully and he was inside, but since it's dark in there i could not see him the first time. So all is good. and Artbart the pleco lives.

bristlenose are the cutest fish!!!

they scurry and move soooooooo quickly !!

1 minute he is on the left side of the tank....the next second he is on the other side !!

I caught one of my albino BN plecs hiding inside a crack in a piece of driftwood. If she had normal coloration, I would never have seen her!

wow, glad you found your pleco! I had a rubberlip and a gold nugget that were amazingly good hiders.

Yeah these guys can Hide like theres no tomorrow.

Then last night I put in a Algea Tablet for him, and my Glowlights and zebra danios went NUTS.

My gold nugget was also an exceedingly good hider. I finally got worried and completely tore down the tank looking for him. I never even found the body. :( I felt really bad about it.

I'm really glad you found your BN. :D

Back
Top Bottom