My pleco has become very aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

Well my pleco is the oldest fish in my tank, (well one of the oldest) anywho, about 2 months ago, he started to come to the surface of the tank to eat, and I thought “awww how cute” and thought it was rather fun, but he’s stopped hiding in the tank, and swims around, all the time, and once again I thought “awww cute” as I love the way a pleco swims, but, he has started to get so aggressive towards my other fish, this includes my angels, and clown’s he just charges at them and wont stop until I scare him off, but even today he swam towards my hand and has become less scared of me. Is there anything I can do to stop him charging and scaring all my other fish?? Its getting worse and worse!

ops sorry its a Common pleco in a 45 gal tank, and its around 6-7 inches big.

mines about that size as well, may want to look for a bigger tank as he'll especially see the clowns (bottom feeders) as competition.

plecos generally can't do much to other fish but chase them around, and stress them out

As a temporary attempt at relief, put some alage wafers in the tank at night and adding a zuchinni or cucumber during the day may help. He'll have more to eat and may become less aggressive.

common plecos (when older) will turn to other fish for food. THe become paracitic almost, sucking on the sides of fish. They can become as agressive as chinese algea eaters. The president of my aquarium society was telling me about how he put one in his pond, and it killed a few of his koi. IME they are peaceful, but i have never been able to grow them very large.

If I come near my tank, my common comes out now. It's very strange, but he seems more active since I added a bunch of live plants.

Anyway, I throw in a wafer a night and he's on it very quickly. They are pretty messy, but I do a lot of water changes.

I have a huge common in a 55 (soon to be 75, then to be 180). He never bothers the other fish in the tank, other than stealing their food. I have several bottom-dwelling fish in there with him.

I would suggest that (if you don't have one already) you provide your pleco with a cave large enough for it go get into and turn around in. It might be the clown loaches in particular that it isn't mixing well with-I don't know them very well!

And has been mentioned, be sure everyone is getting enough to eat. Both the clowns and the pleco will enjoy fresh zucchini, shelled peas, etc.

thanks for all your help people, great help, ive gone and brought him some food, 2 put in the tank at night, as well as food for the day, and ive made a second place for him 2 hide, and go in using bogwood, he's less moody so far, so thanks for all your help, so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom