My pleco is an idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reechard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He dug himself under a plastic rock formation thing and swam up inside and hasn't come out for days. I can see him up there if I tip it over. He might even be dead, but I can't get him out. Any suggestions? Right now I have the thing tipped over so that if he decided to get out he could, but that doesn't seem to be taking that offer.

Put a algae tab or veggies to tempt him out. Once its out fill the decoration with something so he cant get in to it again. I would check and make sure he isnt dead, it would be bad for the water if it is decaying. Usually my pleco is in his cave, when i lift it he is still there clinging to the walls, a little careful shake and he usually comes swimming out.

-Pleco

my BGK and loaches do the same thing, just jiggle it, a bit, and he'll swim out, if he isnt stuck...

Plecos can be fairly shy, and providing appropriate hiding spots such as driftwood, broken pots, or slate should help.

Also, I would check to be sure that he isn't stuck. In the past I had one that tried to scare a smaller plec out of a hole and got his pectorals and dorsal fins caught.

He came out with some encouragement. The jiggle approached seemed to work, thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom