My Plecos fins are frayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a common pleco about 3 inches in a cichlid tank, which is 75g. His fins top and back fin seem a bit frayed like they have been nipped at and i watch my fish quite a bit. Are his fins frayed because hes been getting nipped or because another reason? There isnt any aggression problems in the tank nor do i seem them mess with him at all. All the water parameters are fine as well.

check the following...

1) high ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
2) nippy fish
3) low pH
4) temperature too low

the tempature is always about 76-80 degrees and i dont have any high levels, just got water checked and it was fine. he is in a african cichlid tank but none of them seem to bother him.

My pleco is still ok though? I mean he wont die due to this problem? Im sure he will grow and whoop up on them soon but i dont want it to be a issue now.

Ur pleco wont die because of a fin being nipped..they like to come out at night and look for food, so thats probably why u dont see it happening with the lights on.. U gotta realize that plecos are easy targets especially for agressive fish because most of the time there either stuck on the side of glass or skimming rocks on bottom.

Back
Top Bottom