My pour neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 5 neon tetras and one is a female that looks so miserable!. I am fairly sure she is plump with eggs and just waiting to drop them but my tanks isn't set up for her to do so. She is getting so big that her obdomen is swollen and extended and here backbone is out of line.

Is there anything I can do to help her spawn and not disrupt my tank? They all live happily together but the swords may not appreciate a major change in conditions nor will the fry. My cory cats should do well as they are more tolerant, I think.

Please help, I might try to spawn here in a way that the eggs might have a chance but I don't think she will live much longer if I don't do something!

i hate to say this, but bloating and curvature of the spine can be a sign of disease, e.g., fish tuberculosis (TB). i'm not sure if neons readily breed in aquariums....for some reason i thought it was really rare for them to do so. hopefully someone else knows for sure. how do your other neons look?

The others are just fine, thankfully. All the rest are males the best I can tell. She has been like this for about 3 weeks now. I just figured she would drop her eggs, mating and fertilized or not but she hasn't. Will just have to wait and see or set up a tank to get the conditions to her liking and get her to spawn. I thought she might spawn about 5 days ago as the dominant, adult male was really staying close and wouldn't leave her alone as well as chasing off the other males but a water change later and there is no more signs of courting.

Well is a closed case, kind of. She didn't make it. Her eyes got a point of glaze on them in the middle and she went lithargic and only lasted about an hour. There is no sign of any others being sick but I will watch them very closely. I had to get her out and into an issolation tank for treatment so none of the other fish tried to eat her. Hopefully an isolated case. 8O

I also do not think she was egg-bound, but rather suffering from dropsy. Once they get to the point of that kind of swelling and a bent spine there is really no way to save them, but your other fish in the tank are at risk.

I'd consider treating the tank with salt (one tablespoon per 10 gallons water, using aquarium/sea/rock salt) to hopefully head it off at the pass, so to speak. Sorry for the loss of your fish, and I hope it was an isolated incident too.

pitt420dude said:
I have heard mixed things about neons, some people have great luck while others die off like feeder fish. Glad to hear your other neons are doing well. Have you had any other problems with neons? Anybody?

I think Neons get the "problematic" reputation primarily because:
- They're used as "first" fish in a cycling tank. My experience is they do much better adding to an established/cycled tank.
- They're best as schooling fish so... I wouldn't go with less than 6 at a time.
- They're thrown in with incompatible tankmates that can have them for a nice snack. I've read many stories about Angels munching out on neons... yet, there are some that are successful in having both. I think neons are best suited in a species tank or similiar smaller and peaceful tetras.
- Neons prefer softer water... so they may not be suited for many of you with hard water.

As with all fish, you can get a bad batch of even the hardiest ones... hard to say. But I think neons are relatively hardy.

Although I can't comment about neons, I've had a school of 5 cardinals I bought from the store at A$2 (about US$1.40) and they've been fine for the few months. I've had them in my 6g with a female betta.

Back
Top Bottom