My power Went out!! Any típs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
My power Went out and i wont have electricity for a few days. I have a 80 gallón tropical community tank. Has some plants. The weather is hot outside. Please any típs and what to do when this happensImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414158506.917712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's the concern here? Temp getting to high?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At the very least, id remove any lids. They will prevent air exchange and that's whats going to be problematic for you.

Aside from that, I would suggest going and agitating the water every few hours. Short of going and buying a generator, thats about as much as you can do.

Cause of the oxigene. The water temp is not a problem because its hot. I should remove the lid? My red eye tetras jump some times. Are they known for jumping high?

You can buy a battery operated air pump at petco or walmart for like 10 bucks, that's what I would do

Drop the water level, perform a 25% wc daily until power is restored and invest in a couple battery powered air pumps. Take the bio media out of the filter and throw it in the tank on top of the airstone.

I should take 20 % of water out of the tank??

And replace it each day your power is out. Keeps the toxicity at bay while your filters are down.

Drop the water level, perform a 25% wc daily until power is restored and invest in a couple battery powered air pumps. Take the bio media out of the filter and throw it in the tank on top of the airstone.

from the looks of your stocking levels, I think if you follow the above advice, you will have nothing to be concerned about.
Although daily changes may not be needed, but every 2nd, 3rd day if you cut back on feeding.

Love the tank design by the way. (y)

The biggest issues during a power loss are oxygenation and ammonia poisoning.

Your stocking levels look pretty low so unless you pH is high I think you will be OK from an ammonia perspective although we can't see the entire tank in the pics.

Oxygen should be your primary priority. Battery operated air pumps are a great solution. Realistically, if nobody is going to be home it is probably your only solution.

You also have to consider your filtration and what is going to happen when it comes back on. HOB filters can sometimes run dry and become damaged with the power restoration. Canister filters may have the opposite problem where the seals can start leaking due to the pressure while the power is out, especially if you have a taller tank which does not seem to the case from the pics.

Back
Top Bottom