my Puffer isn't doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judymayes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone need help I got a very thin green spotted puffer a three weeks ago added Instant Ocean now in brackish water ,he isn't eating different feeds well as I would like to see him eat he has only been eating earth worms lately he is eating them as well go anothe one from same place just a few days earlier he has taken off just remarkably any suggestions would be appreciated
Judy :(

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Did you cycle the tank prior to putting fish in?

How large is the tank? What is the current salinity level?

You will need to treat for internal parasites. Its ok to only feed earthworms for now.

puffer

I haven't gotten a test for water just try to keep the water changes and I am treating for internal parasites now would poor water quality afftct his appetite
Judy

Yes poor water quality can affect appetite. Keep them in freshwater until you have completed cycling your tank. Please look up "fish in cycling". When you have finished cycling, then start raising the salinity level by 0.002 or keep it the same every week. Large changes in salinity level can kill your beneficial bacteria which causes poor water parameters.

puffer

sorry yes the tank was pretty good cycled when I put him in it had some swordtails I took out that had been doing good in it for awhile
Judy

Let me know the water parameters when you are able to get them. Also get a refractometer and supplies to premix water and salt. All marine salt does not dissolve instantly as advertised.

What else have ya tried to feed him?

GSPs have always given me fits with feeding. I've never weaned one over to prepped flakes, pellets or sticks. My current GSPs will eat freeze-dried blood worms, which is a first for me, but that makes an incomplete diet. Mine get ramshorns and pond snails, frozen blood worms, frozen shrimp, and live gut-loaded ghost shrimp.

WYite

puffer need help

I did a good water change he is out swimmimg around and seems to be feeling alot better and looks better
Thank for you help
Judy

puffer needing help

I found a chart on the internet that said to use 7.5 tsp of Instant Ocean Salt per 10 gal of water for brackish does that sound ok for my Puffer or what should I do
Judy

Premix in a separate container. Most people would use a trachcan. I use brute trashcan. Add water in the trashcan. Then add salt, heater, and powerhead. Wait a few hours for the salt to premix. Then measure with refractometer since hydrometer has high rate for error. You will measure how much salt. It involves a little math.

Ie if 2cup salt get you to 1.004 in 10g of water, then 4cup of salt should get you to 1.008 in 10g of water.

Then once desired salt level is reached then connect powerhead to flex tubing for transfer of newly mix water from trashbin to tank.

puffer help

Thank you very much for all your help I will get water tester fit and get back to you
Judy

Back
Top Bottom