My python came and my fish are gone, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was so excited and we did our weekly water change, today is thusday.....So I change the betta's tank all good, without the python was to big thank god, then we did the 29gal with the python, then did the 20 gal goldfish tank (yes we got a 20 gal goldfish tank) with the python, I looked over at the 29gal tetra tank and they all were at the top, then the 3 lemons died one at a time followed by the phantoms and so on till all 17 fish were gone. WHAT THE H@@@ did I do wrong????? I checked the water with my new master kit and all levels were GREAT, I rinsed my hands and arms really good, so no soap.......All I can think of now is that I did not rinse the python before using it......That has to be it, I cant think of anything else, I am such an idiot! I broke my daughters heart and mine just because im so dumb!... The goldfish I guess were ok cause I used the python 2nd and by then it was rinsed on the tetra tank, I feel like I have been run over with a truck........we are never getting tropical fish again......now we are going to clean the tank (29) and make it a goldfish tank, and keep the 20 gal for QT tank or put the betta in it........

Don't beat yourself up about it, stick with the Tropicals. My guess would be some kind of contamination from the Python. How much time lapsed from addnig the water to the tropical tank till you noticed they were dieing? If it was within a few minutes, I'd guess contamination. Lack of dechlor takes longer to kill a fish.

I'd have to guess some kind of contamination as well. Although adding dechlorinator is necessary with a python immediately upon starting to refill. Sorry for your losses.

Please don't give up on the tropical fish, one error doesn't make you a bad fishy parent. Trust me. We have all done something at one time or another we could just bonk ourselves on the head for.

Oh please don't beat yourself up or give up. I swear I thought I was the reigning queen of having done simply *everything* wrong from the start. Like you, when I got my Python, I just stuck in there (without adverse affects, however my tank was already toxic with four survivors). How much water did you pull off?? Just asking because it became my personal experience that pulling off large amounts was doing more harm than good. I know that feeling that you've been run over by a truck. Take a deep calming breath. These good fishy folks will be able to offer you lots of help.

wow - I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. And as the others have shared don't give up. Fishyfanatic asked a good question. How much time lapsed between the cleaning and the deaths? This may shed some light as to what went wrong. My heart goes out to your daughter but when you get new fish I'm sure she will put it behind her. My pediatrician always told me - "Kids are tougher than you think - they were designed to last a lifetime"

Just a thought...was the temperature of the water going into the tank as close as possible to the current tank temperature? Could explain why cold water fish survived just fine and tropicals dropped like flies if the water was too cold. I personally experienced just the same thing once when I wasn't paying enough attention to the temperature.

Like the others said, hope is not lost!!! Don't let it get to you... you live and learn in this hobby!

After reading it I think jrp1588 hit the nail on the head. I could be wrong though but I would be curious to see what the temps were before and after the change. A large water change with cold water could definitely shock them.

Sorry for your loses and good luck!

Excellent ideas from everyone so far!

We have been into fish keeping since 2003. Last year (4 years in the hobby) my husband did a water change on our 55 gal fry tank. I went downstairs the next morning and all of the fish were dead. The syringe that held the dechlorinator was full and sitting on top of the canopy. They all had died. They didn't start dieing for at least an hour and a half because he said when he came back upstairs they were all still alive and seemed fine. Moral of the story: Even those that have kept fish for years have made mistakes and the result ended in dead fish. Dn't beat yourself u about it.

Like the others said, hope is not lost!!! Don't let it get to you... you live and learn in this hobby!

After reading it I think jrp1588 hit the nail on the head. I could be wrong though but I would be curious to see what the temps were before and after the change. A large water change with cold water could definitely shock them.

Sorry for your loses and good luck!

I took out about 35 to 40% of the 29 gal then added the water and the prime I thought the water was the same temp but after we filled the tank back the temp was 84 from 79.......the bad part about the python I dont know how much prime to add cause its 2 drops to a gal.....we added 8 drops cause I figured we took 4 gals now I know im a real dumb :mad: omg We did not add enough prime if we took about 35 to 40% water out from a 29 gal then 8 drops were not enough...thats what I did omg I really killed my babies:mad:

I use my python to vacuum the gravel and remove water but I never use it to put water back in from the tap, I keep two 5 gallon water bottles filled and treated with prime between water changes so that its room temperature.

I use my python to vacuum the gravel and remove water but I never use it to put water back in from the tap, I keep two 5 gallon water bottles filled and treated with prime between water changes so that its room temperature.

I wish to god I thought of this this is a wonderful idea! I am aso brain dead!

Use enough Prime to treat the entire tank when using the python.

The Python really is a snap to use. You just have to watch the temp. I use full blast cold when draining so as not to use up the hot water. We have a 150, two 55s, and a 29 to fill. The great thing about the Python is you don't have to use buckets or pre-treated water. Keep your chin up and keep filling with it. Just dose the appropriate amount and keep an eye on the temp. You'll get the hang of it very quickly.

I agree, don't give up home and don't beat yourself up about it. I always over treat my water just in case. I don't think you can do much harm if you treat the water with a little extra dechlorinate. Good luck!

To make it easier to dose, go to Wal-Mart or another pharmacy and get a baby medicine syringe. It is easy to dose that way and you don't have to count drops.

Sorry to hear about your fish. I just got the Python this week. I have been putting the prime in the tank first, at least enough to condition the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom