My Python is driving me nuts !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bunch of issues with my Python (50 ft) and I'm wondering if its my "technique", my pump, or my house's water presure. Hopefully its just technique and you very wise and experienced folks can help me :)

Issue 1:
I have very little "suction". It would seem to me that a small plant leaf should be SHOOSHED up into the tube and wisked away - that doesn't happen. I have to pretty much maneuver the leaf into the gravel tube before it gets sucked up - close is "no cigar"

Issue 2:
I can't get the darned thing to restart ! If I take the tube out of the tank to move it to the other side of the brace I get trapped air which seems to throw the whole mechanism off. I've tried shutting it down (including turning off the faucet) and then turning it back on - but that doesn't seem to work. The only thing I've been able to do to restart it is to take a cup of water to completely refill the line and then put the gravel vac into the tank upside down - the issue is that the water just trickles out when I do this and there's no suction for cleaning. There just always seems to be trapped air whereever the line curves down from the top of the tank.

Is there some secret ? Do I have a bad pump ? Am I just a clutz ?

Don't fret joannde...there is a science to syphoning.

When you are removing the water, start by turning the faucet on before you stick the tube into the tank. This creates the suction at the beginning and there will be enough pressure to do the job.

Air getting into the tube obviously creates a problem. Try to avoid this by floating the tube under the brace so it stays submerged. If you do get an air bubble, turn the tube upside down inside the tank so it fills with water. Then turn it right side up and push it into the tank with a little force a few times. The air bubble is forced out and the flow will continue.

Got ya ! On the first part, I may have had the tube in first - can't really remember but I'll know better next time.

On the second - I tried that today too - I created a tsunami in the tank but the bubble STILL wouldn't go away ! That's when I got the "trickle".

But I'll admit - even tho the Python drove me nuts it still beats the bucket thing !

I'll be getting lots of practice - the meds killed my biofilter :( I have lots of water changes in my future. Or I may just buy another bag of Bio-Spira - I know the store I bought it from keeps it in good condition - the bag I used to finish my cycle sure did work and it will save my remaining "kids" from the effects of the ammonia and nitrites I'm now showing (was 1.0 and .25 before the water change - now 0.5 and trace)

Aside from the use tips posted by Jchillin, you'll notice the python doesn't have quite as much sucking power as a regular siphon does. At least it didn't with me, and my water pressure wasn't fantastic at all in my last place. I'll have to try those tips for getting bubbles out of the gravel vac though.

Yes, the Python doesn't have as much suction as a gravel vac, IMO. There's a lot that mine won't suck up. And I have mine out of the tank when I turn the water on. As for the water pressure, I don't have a lot. It takes a bit to fill up a 1G jug. So I know there's not a lot. But it still does a great job. I wouldn't go back to buckets either, even though I have to now til I get my new pumps in. I think I put too much pressure on the hose and the plastic pump broke off at the faucet, lol. Ah well, you live and you learn, lol.

Ah, Ok - nice to know the Python reduced pressure is normal Since I have all those rocks and caves on the bottom of my tank I was thinking of getting a 1 inch tube instead - maybe that'll help a little; if you don't think it wil make a difference please let me know - it may change my decision.

LWB - there must have been ALOT of pressure to break that plastic, unless maybe it had dropped at some point and there was a crack starting already. Hope the new pump comes quickly for you !

Actually, I don't think a different tube size will help much, as everything is in the pump and your water pressure. I'm thinking of trying my water faucet outside for removing the water, then draining the python and hooking it to the faucet inside to fill back up. I know the pressure for the outside faucet is a whole lot more. Now that it's summer, can do it.

I was thinking of getting a 1 inch tube instead - maybe that'll help a little; if you don't think it wil make a difference please let me know - it may change my decision.

IMO thats exactly what you need to do.All things being equal and the only change being the diameter of the sucking oriface will not increase the volume/minute removed,but it will increase the vilocity at the uptake.

I've never had a python,buts that how I would expect that change to work....that is unless of coarse its so slow now that any change might help and still go unnoticed.

Just my thoughts on it.If you try it bump the thread and let us know.

Its definitely not you, my Python is doing the same, much less suction compared to what I expected. Guess it takes some practice and maybe I'll invest in an plain gravel vac to supplement it.

I will admit that the python is not really good at removing plant debris/particles and even when a piece gets in the tube, it may not go through the check valve and get stuck in there thereby reducing the flow even more.

I can't seem to find the 1" replacement gravel tubes anywhere (checked lots of places including BigAlsOnline). I noticed that Python also makes a REGULAR gravel vac - does anyone know if the line diameter is the same on this and the "no spill" - I'm thinking I'll buy the regular gravel vac and just use the gravel tube on the "no spill".

(btw - "no spill" is another misnomer LOL - yesterday the tube disconnected from the pump on the sink - since I was in the next room merrily draining away I didn't notice it. When my husband went into the kitchen he let out a small scream - there was a small flood ! - have to admit that didn't do too much to endear him to my newest hobby !!)

I also found the suction on my python to be less than great. What I do now is prime the python the usual way, then shut off the water, crimp the hose, remove it from the faucet adapter, and stick it out the window. Voila, a "normal" siphon. Plus, I'm not wasting good water (from the faucet) to get rid of bad water (from the tank).

Remember, no matter how good your water pressure is, only so much of it can pass through that faucet adapter in a given period of time.

My python is the same way. I only use it if I don't plan on vaccuming. Its used soley for water removal and refilling.

Anytime I need to do a vac I just pull out the old outdated gravel vac and 5 gallon bucket.

But you can't beat the python for refills!

tips from using this excellent tool.

1) run both the hot water and cold water when you are vacuuming the tank. for my sink, it gives it more pressure. (don't put hot water in the tank)

2) when recommencing vacuum, simply left the hose that is laying on the ground until the vacuum starts up again. assuming you shut the valve when you removed the tube from the water (ie the hose has to filled with water for this to work).

(btw - "no spill" is another misnomer LOL - yesterday the tube disconnected from the pump on the sink - since I was in the next room merrily draining away I didn't notice it. When my husband went into the kitchen he let out a small scream - there was a small flood ! - have to admit that didn't do too much to endear him to my newest hobby !!)
I had a similar situation recently. My drain gets clogged up from my hair (eww, i know) and any plant matter that the python sucks up, and I forget to clean it out regularly. Well I was just vacuuming away one day and my mom came downstairs and she was like "STOP!". I freaked out and went to look in the bathroom and there was about 1-1 1/2 inches of water all over the bathroom floor. The whole bathroom was covered! That was a huge mess. I now regularly clean out the drain.

I have to turn the faucet all the way on to get good water pressure. That is also what caused my flood, because the water was coming out of the python and faucet faster than it was draining out of the sink. Our faucets have both hot and cold (you just turn left or right), so maybe thats why I can get good pressure by turning it on almost full blast.

I'd try the hot and cold thing, if they are separate, just make sure not to put hot water in the tank...like rkilling mentioned.

See if that helps any..

IME any size tube from any syhpon vacume I've tried was compatiable with the Python.
Ive used four diffent ones from three different manifactures.
HTH

tip on the water preasure thing.. if you have city water sometimes they put in a preasure limiting vavle somwere between your water main and your house to conserve preasure thoughout the system, these can be adjusted with a screwdriver ;)
For some reason they forgot to put one in for most of my neiborhood, the couple next door had to complain to the water department to put one in, the preasure here can wear out your preasure fitted plumbing my guess around 65+PSI 8O
Only option with a well water system is a booster pump they sell for RO/DI units.

When we used the Python on the outside spiket, the pressure was 30x better. It would suck up waste very easily, better than a standard gravel vac. But now that we are using it on an inside faucet, it doesn't have as much pressure. The outside spikets will give you better suction. You may want to try that if possible. The water pressure in our apt is horrible but the Python is still better than the Bucket Brigade.

Yes, my new kitchen fauset has internal preaure limiting (the old one didn't and shook appart 8O ), a wide open valve (like an outdoor one) would work much better :p

Replacement python gravel tubes are available from Drs. Foster & Smith. Do a search there for "Python" for Pythons and lots of relacement parts and accessories.

I also have a 50' Python with a similar suction problem. I found the only way to get decent suction is to turn both the hot a cold water on 100%. I remove the drain plug to prevent overflowing the sink. With this setup I can safely and fairly easily do large water changes on even my bigger tank (just 38-gallon in my case) without any help.

Ok, I'll try the hot and cold water at the same time - but I'm still getting that smaller tube LOL. I searched Dr Fosters - they don't give the tube diameter so my only assumption is that they are all the "standard" 2" diameter. I have two other gravel vacs, one with a weird wide oval tube, the other a little thing for the betta tanks. Next time I'm in the store I'll just look for a regular vac that looks like the connection point is wide enough for the Python line tubing.

I did find the regular Python 12" long 1" diameter tube on petsolutions.com for $4, but I can't really justify the additional $8 shipping - even tried to see if they had anything interesting for the bird and the dog and (believe it or not) I couldn't find anything else that I wanted (imagine that - having a hard time spending money !! LOL)

Back
Top Bottom