My red tail shark is losing its color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
When i got my red tail shark 3 weeks ago it was really black with its tail really red. No the black is fading and the tail is not so red. Why ?? Heres a pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408072910.785659.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408072938.083198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are your water parameters?How big is the tank? What other fish are in the tank with the shark?

Last edited:
I really havent checkd my parameters recently, its a 80 gallón tropical tank, i have a pearl and flame gourami, 13 neons, 6 rummy nose, 1 pleco, 6 red eye tetras and an Apple snale. All the other fish look perfectly fine. Héres my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408075990.146553.jpg

Sharks lose there color when there stressed,sick, or water parameters are not good.So if i were you i would test your water to make sure its good so you know its not that. It could also be that hes stressed from fighting with another fish which would probably be one of your gouramis or your pleco so watch them and see if they are fighting with eachother. The last thing i think it might be but im not sure unless you put more pictures up is fin rot because it looks like his fins are torn a little bit. I hope this helps.

He doesnt fight with anyone. He hides alot and doesnt eat at all because he doesnt swim to the top like the rest, he just waits alittle under but no food floats down. His fin is losing its color also

If your sharks not getting any food that could be the problem. You should try getting him some sinking wafers or pellets but the wafer would be better so that he has a better chance of getting it since its bigger and the other fish cant eat it in one bite.

I would agree that the issue seems like it could be stress. Generally, these fish will indeed swim to the top to get food. He could just be stressed from the change. You never know what it was like for him before you got him. I would either test your water, or do a big pwc. It is usually a good first step when trying to help a fish feel better.
Any other issues like flashing, sluggishness, bloated appearance?

I really havent checkd my parameters recently, its a 80 gallón tropical tank, i have a pearl and flame gourami, 13 neons, 6 rummy nose, 1 pleco, 6 red eye tetras and an Apple snale. All the other fish look perfectly fine. Héres my tank View attachment 246820

Is that a customs build tank? That tank is very cool. Is it on the top of some stairs? Like on the banister? Did u do it yourself???

Ya its like on the side of the stairs in my apartment, i had to custom Make it, ill show u a diferent angle.
I Also think its the food because in my q the was just fine, eating and everything. Im gonna get some waffers and do a water change ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408103554.612181.jpg

Did you just put him in the tank from the QT tank?

I put him in the bag and let it float in the water for 45 minutes an then i added a cup of water every 10 minutes from the tank for 30 min and then i Opend the bag

I noticed today that hes swiming slowly and his fin is like falling apart

Could be nipping or fin rot. I also meant how long ago was is that you put him in the tank? Did he just a little while ago go in the tank or...?

Whats fin rot? I put him in 2 weeks ago, but i thought he adapted Well but now i see that he didnt. What can i do?

Whats fin rot? I put him in 2 weeks ago, but i thought he adapted Well but now i see that he didnt. What can i do?

You need to get him out and if you can into QT on his own as fin rot can be transferred to other fish.

It's hard to tell from a picture. My advise is get him out anyway because if it's not fin rot their is something else giving him grief. Have you got another tank?

Good shout get that shark on his own and see what he does.

Back
Top Bottom