My SA puffers ate peas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felf

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was feeding my fish some frozen shelled peas (shelled fresh ones myself) and my 3 south american puffers started eating them! all of them ate at least 4 or 5 pieces but one in particular ate enough to fill it's belly so maybe 10...my dwarf puffers didnt even look in the same direction as the peas though.

Well, I don't believe they're omnivore but I could be wrong. Although it's not odd to see a carnivore go after greens, just don't make it a staple part of the diet.

ya my sa puffers never ate anything like that.. .only bloodworms and brine and such...and as deathwarp said, dont make it their staple diet... its not what they normally eat, and there's prolly a reason for it.

What are you feeding your dwarf puffers? I have mine on live adult brine, but I need to get him on something else.

dwarf puffers and SA puffers are different fish. Xkenneth, if you havent fed your dwarf puffer baby snails, you need to because snails shells keep the puffers beak/teeth down. If you dont feed them something like snails, it will just keep growing to the point where they cant open their mouth to eat.

Same goes for the South American puffers that we were talkin about too.

Dwarf purrers are the only ones that won't get overgrown teeth, though live snails are their favorite food. Frozen bloodworms are also a favorite of just about ANY fish.

actually dwarf puffers teeth do grow..very slow. On mine, you could deffinately tell that they were growing to where it was difficult to eat. Then i got a couple snails, and after that, i had about 200 baby snails, and his teeth magically went down in about a week or so lol.

he actauly tried eating one of the big mystery snails, it was like, 8 times bigger than him.

i threw in maybe 20 peas one at a time, keep in mind that they were freshly shelled, then frozen so they werent the size of those frozen peas you buy in the supermarket. i feed my SAs and dwarves feeder shrimp and live tubifex but unlike the dwarf puffers everyone else may get, these are very picky(LFSs only feed them live brine); i've tried starving them and feeding every type of frozen food available to no avail. i keep the tubifex worms in a 15l storage container with a whisper internal filter and feed them vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom