My Sea Frog Puffer's (breeding Pair)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pufferpunk said:
Actually, Tetraodon cutcutia is of the target puffer group.
See: http://home.messiah.edu/~dw1178/pufferlist.htm
Click on Target puffer info.

I did...it reads:

"These five puffers, known as the target puffers, appear to be closely related. Included in this group are Tetraodon cambodgiensis, Tetraodon leirus, Tetraodon turgidus, Tetraodon hilgendorfi, and Tetraodon cochinchinensis. Tetraodon cutcutia is often confused as part of this group, but currently is not a member of the target group."

That's odd, as they definately are (hence, the target puffer "confusion"). I'll have to talk to the author (one of my mods) about that. We are still looking into changes on that list as we get more onfo on these hard to label fish. BTW, I saw pic of said puffer & it looks more like a T turgidus to me.

Perhaps because it is from India and the others are all farther east, so are more likely to closely related to one another. Perhaps because its "target" spot is much less distinct than the others. Or perhaps just because it has been in the trade a long time and is familiar, while the others have not and are less familiar.

Frankly, I think that it should be included at least tentatively until the taxonomists/geneticists sort out who is closely related to whom.

I think that we talked about that at least briefly when the list was being set and the consensus was to exclude the common puffer (T cutcutia ) for now. Definately not in the ambush predator group though (T suvattii, miurus, etc).

Pufferpunk said:
Frankly, I think that it should be included at least tentatively until the taxonomists/geneticists sort out who is closely related to whom.

Probably a fair ways off....I think puffers have been seriously overlooked when it has come to serious, recent taxonomic reclassification.

Much agreed, that's why the constant confusion on puffer ID. I'm still trying to get proof that the nigriviridis & fluviatilis are indeed different species. Even the editor of TFH believes differently & messed up my GSP article because of his false info.

Yes, your puffers are very nice, but be warned, you can leave the eggs with the male, until hatched. Then he will eventually eat them & prove aggressive towards the female also. Puffers are not to be trusted, especially in captivity. Eventually, you will only have 1 puffer...

Back
Top Bottom