my snail is sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

margarita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have a snail in my fish tank, I think it's an apple snail, but i'm not sure (small with black lines) .
For the last week it's don't moving around often, and it acts weird.
It got some orange stuff, and today, I saw some white stuff came out of her.
I have two snails in my fishtank,

also I saw something white on the top of my tank (very little, has egg shape, about 1mm)

maybe it's pregnant?

Ps. I'm new here, how do you add pic to your post?

thank you

Attachments

• DSC01979.jpg
    DSC01979.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01980.jpg
    DSC01980.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01982.jpg
    DSC01982.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Welcome to AA! This question will probably be better off in the unhealthy fish section. From what you described and the pics I can't really tell if anything is wrong with your snail, some do lay eggs. I have pond snails and ramshorn snails in a tank and there are eggs and snails all over the place lol. Maybe this link will help you : Snail diseases and problems

Edit: Maybe this would be what is happening?
Some apple snails are unable to deposit their eggs on the surface they have climbed on. For some, reason, their ovipositor groove does not function adequately or the eggs do not get on the groove. It's this groove which guides the eggs from opening of the egg-tube (under the shell) towards the top of the foot. In case of an affected snail, the egg mass build up near the shell opening and stays there. None or only a few eggs are deposited, the others fall into the water, where they drown or become eaten.
Possible reasons (purely assumptions):
1. The snail has a genetic defect that alters the ovipositor groove, rendering it useless.
2. Something went wrong when the snail matured. The ovopositor groove hasn't come to full development.
3. The snail has grown to large for its species and due to it's heavy shell the muscles of the snail cannot keep the shell in contact with the foot all the time. In such case the opening of the egg tube does not make contact with the ovipositor groove and the eggs never get on track.
Researched needs to be done on this subject to solve this problem. If anyone has similar experiences with apple snails contact me.
  • Infertile eggs
    Just like chickens, apple snails do lay eggs even when they are not fertilized. This should be kept in mind of you have a single snails or several snails without a single male. If the eggs never hatch, even not when you are sure that the snails have mated, one should also think of bad conditions for the eggs (dry air, to humid air with condensing water, low temperatures etc.).
that is from the link I gave you

thank you,
it doesn't look like anything on that website though,
I tried to google it, but I didnt find anything which would answer my question, my snail got this orange color on it about few weeks ago, still try to figure out what is it. :(

well hopefully dk will see this when she gets back, she is a snail pro! I hope he does OK until then. I'll keep searching for you as well

Welcome to AA! This question will probably be better off in the unhealthy fish section. From what you described and the pics I can't really tell if anything is wrong with your snail, some do lay eggs. I have pond snails and ramshorn snails in a tank and there are eggs and snails all over the place lol. Maybe this link will help you : Snail diseases and problems

Edit: Maybe this would be what is happening?

that is from the link I gave you

hm... nothing like this :)

what makes me even more suspicios about my snail is that i saw clear thing got out of her (it had some little white dots in it), and in a few mints fade in the water,

What are your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Are there any other fish in it? Have you used any medications in the tank? Anything with copper? I also found this list of meds that are and aren't safe for snails

What are your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Are there any other fish in it? Have you used any medications in the tank? Anything with copper? I also found this list of meds that are and aren't safe for snails

my tank is 30 gallons, the only fish i have there is goldfish, and i have 2 snails.

whenever i add water to the fish tank or change water, i usually use "Tap water conditioner" (API) :)

Lol. Ok so you probably want to get a test kit first off, a liquid one if you can because the strip ones are innacurate. It is very helpful to know those things as they are the cause of a lot of problems with tanks :) API has a freshwater master test kit for about 18$ online at walmart.com. Wish i would have known that when I got mine (I spent 30$ on mine) but it is worth it because it will last you a long time and you will have accurate results.

attachment.php
if you pick it up and poke it does it move? does it smell at all?
It doesn't smell at all,
and it moves, but today it got out a little, and got inside again and closed. it's keeps doing it for the last two days i think:confused:

Last edited:
Apple snails do hibernate from time to time (usually after laying eggs). As long as the trap door is tightly closed, a snail that is not mobile may be just fine. After a week or 2, a dormant snail will get back to normal again.

For now, there isn't much to go on. All you can do is watch & wait.

Apple snails do hibernate from time to time (usually after laying eggs). As long as the trap door is tightly closed, a snail that is not mobile may be just fine. After a week or 2, a dormant snail will get back to normal again.

For now, there isn't much to go on. All you can do is watch & wait.

"As long as the trap door is tightly closed," that's the thing, that it's not closed (like on the picture I posted above"
it's not really moving, it's just keeps closing it or leave it half open :crazyeyes: :?

thank you for your response!!!! : )

what have you been feeding it? if there is something wrong there really isnt much you can do. if its moving and doesnt smell at least those are good signs.

what have you been feeding it? if there is something wrong there really isnt much you can do. if its moving and doesnt smell at least those are good signs.

I didn't feed it at all : /, it existed on it's one for about 2 years. Now I feel like I'm a bad owner :zip:, do I have to feed them?

just now I went on one website and foud this picture
marisa_eggs.jpg

that's what I saw today at my tank!!!! i guess it's snail eggs :)

those look like pond snail eggs. those are not apple snail eggs.

i would put some veggies in there maybe its a lack of food.

Mystery snail eggs do not look like that, but their poo does. Sometimes you will see stringy clear thing hanging off of them, which is the poo. I have attached pics of my mysteries eggs. :)
I would recommend feeding your snails, which is going to be hard with the thieving goldie in there LOL. You might have to separate them when feeding. My one mystery (golf ball size) eats an entire algae wafer once a day.
When you touch the flesh of that snail, does it go back into it's shell? How long have you had the snails, two years? Have you taken it out of the tank and smelled it?
You can grind up cuttle bone and sprinkle it into the tank to help their shell grow.
I think the gold coloring on the body is just it's color.
I just picked up some peaches, oranges, apples and zuchinni today to feed my snail, on the advice of MGamer20o0. :)

Mystery snail eggs do not look like that, but their poo does. Sometimes you will see stringy clear thing hanging off of them, which is the poo. I have attached pics of my mysteries eggs. :)
I would recommend feeding your snails, which is going to be hard with the thieving goldie in there LOL. You might have to separate them when feeding. My one mystery (golf ball size) eats an entire algae wafer once a day.
When you touch the flesh of that snail, does it go back into it's shell? How long have you had the snails, two years? Have you taken it out of the tank and smelled it?
You can grind up cuttle bone and sprinkle it into the tank to help their shell grow.
I think the gold coloring on the body is just it's color.
I just picked up some peaches, oranges, apples and zuchinni today to feed my snail, on the advice of MGamer20o0. :)

thank you! oh, I was about to get excited that I'm going to have baby snails, but it's just a poop, lol

One of my snails live in my fish tank for about 3 years, and I have a really huge gold fish, my other snail (which I think is not doing good) I got it from petco about 3-4 weeks ago. It seamed to be very active, but for the last week it's acting very weird. I also saw my snails trying to bride (don't know how to spell it in english, sorry, started learning it 3 years ago : ) )
so maybe, it's the reason it's not active, ... i don't know.
I'm really excited about what you said, and I'm going to feed them once in a while, thank you for your advise!
and I will watch my poor little snail and will let you know if it will get better or not!!!

thank you :D

I got 4 snails at Petco in December, and now I only have one, the other 3 died, so it's not abnormal for them to not make it. :( Just keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't move for about 3-4 days, take it out and smell it, you will know if it's dead, it smells TERRIBLE.
If you have to, create some little fenced off area for them when you feed them, where the goldfish can't get in, and pick them up and put them in there. :)

I got 4 snails at Petco in December, and now I only have one, the other 3 died, so it's not abnormal for them to not make it. :( Just keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't move for about 3-4 days, take it out and smell it, you will know if it's dead, it smells TERRIBLE.
If you have to, create some little fenced off area for them when you feed them, where the goldfish can't get in, and pick them up and put them in there. :)

I gave them salad from our garden today!!! it seams like they enjoy organic food!!! god, they eat SO FAST!!!!! lol

Petco is another thing, uhhh, it makes me so mad seeing all half way dead fish they have in there: (
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom