my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walmart or Petsmart

• Walmart (with cheap equipment like 50$ with the equpiment but not the fish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Petsmart with expensive equpiment adding up to about 120$

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

Rudy_627

ok so i have the tank(bare minimum the tank and nothing else i have the gravel how much do i put in im going later to get the water and filters and lights ect but what do i do gimmie tips here

I put in 1 pound of gravel per gallon the tank is. So 10 pounds of gravel for a 10g is what I do.

thes are what I like and havn't had any problems with. but it would depend on what sise of tank you have, on which one you would get.

Hood/lighting:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1106948696048

Heater: what I have found and what i live by is that you need 5 watts per gallon.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1106948695063

Filtration:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1106949010644

IMO these are good products I haven't had any problems with them. I hope that this gives you some info to work with.

:p

i got the prices figgerd out with out the testers and cinditionersand algae scrubber it is 45$ with that stuff at petsmart but im gonna go to walmart and get the equipment cause walmart is cheap ya i know cheap isnt always good but aslong as i get my tank with the fish ill be happy

can a 10 gal tank fit an otto cat a betta 3 cherry barb gold tetra 3 cories and a hillsteram loach?

I think you will be ok with that list of fish. Of course, you could get away with one algae eater. Maybe just get the otto, or the hillstream loach. Or, if they have them, another nice algae eater for a small tank is a pittbull pleco. Just make sure you don't add all these fish at one time. You should also read about fishless cycling in the articles section. Good luck with your new tank.

can a 10 gal tank fit an otto cat a betta 3 cherry barb gold tetra 3 cories and a hillsteram loach?
No

You need to allow the tank to cycle. cories and otos need an established tank in order to thrive. Bettas with barbs and often tetras is not a good idea. Due to the betta's long, flowing fins, fin nippers will nip. In addition, some bettas will not tolerate cory cats, but YMMV. For more info on Hillstream Loches, click here.

Read over these links before you buy fish:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Menagerie said:
No

You need to allow the tank to cycle. cories and otos need an established tank in order to thrive. Bettas with barbs and often tetras is not a good idea. Due to the betta's long, flowing fins, fin nippers will nip. In addition, some bettas will not tolerate cory cats, but YMMV.[/url].

I have these same exact mix of fish in a ten gallon tank that's been set up since 12/03. I have had no problems with them all getting along for the last year. Maybe my fish are special.

what do you all mean by "cycling"????? cause i have no idea im new to this just remember cause i will have MANY MANY questions

i still dont understand the nitrogen cycle
put it in lamens terms for me

i still dont understand the nitrogen cycle
put it in lamens terms for me

Fish waste and uneaten food decays into ammonia.

Ammonia is broken down into nitrites.

Nitrites are broken down into nitrates.

Ammonia is VERY toxic to fish which is why cycling is reccomended. In the cycling process you will gain enough nitrifying (good) bacteria in your tank to kill off ammonia when it first appears. It breaks down into nitrites, which then break down into nitrates.

You should have undetectable amounts of ammonia and nitrite(although fish can tolerate a LITTLE nitrite). Nitrate levels should always be less than 20 ppm, but fish can tolerate up to about 40 ppm.

Yeah, I think that's about it. Hah. Hope that helps some. 8)

Yes you can get the same stuff at petsmart as walmart and cheaper at walmart but it isn't the best i started off with the starter kits and I up graded soon after because IMO the stuff in the kit is not the best but yes i agree with Devilishturtles ""Get what YOU like the best and can afford."" even if you get the kits that is a start and it is a good deal on it. that is what i started with. and i started my parents up with two tanks about 3 months ago everything is going good and they like it so yes the kits are a good start. and with my parents they probboly wont upgrade. and i think that is fine i think what they are wanting and are going to keep are going to be fine. :|

ok i think i understand it but what are water conditioners for also a heads up im going to be a Marine Biologist when im older already taking the classes in high school and im covincing my parents to get me a 55 gallon tank (glass, Oceanic, or Perfecto?) tell me what you like (i like glass but dont have the money for it)

Rudy_627 said:
ok i think i understand it but what are water conditioners for

Water conditioners are chemicals that prepare your water for fish. Like, removing things like chlorine and chloramines.

Rudy, I would add any algae eaters(cory cats or otto) until a month after you get some fish. Talk to someone at the LFS that is knowlegdable about fush and ask them some questions on what will be a good comunnity fish.

If you are looking for an 55 gal. Look in the local paper, you can get everything for about 100-150$. The only thing I would get new would be a filter and heater. If you do get a used tank locally, ask the person if they would fill it up before you get there. So you can check for leaks.

remember im 14 cant drive and my parents dont trust strangers until next year when i get my permit cause my bro is giving me his car next year

what do you all mean by "cycling"????? cause i have no idea im new to this just remember cause i will have MANY MANY questions
Check out the articles section on this forum. Cycling is the process of establishing a bacteria population that will metabolize fish waste (ammonia) to nitrate. If you don't pay attention to this you will get high ammonia levels, followed by high nitrite levels, which is followed by fish deaths, until you have enough bacteria to quickly destroy ammonia and nitrite. anOther terms for this is new tank syndrome. Learn about this before buying fish!

And welcome to AA. :D

edit: oops. didn't see the second page !

rogerrabbit said:
Rudy, I would add any algae eaters(cory cats or otto) until a month after you get some fish. Talk to someone at the LFS that is knowlegdable about fush and ask them some questions on what will be a good comunnity fish.

And after you do that, report back here because if you don't know the hobby, everyone sounds knowledgable, when a good percent of the time they don't know what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom