My tank in one day had plenty of algae to none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathbows2me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Came home today and my tank has zero algae on the rocks glass it's all gone I just got a pleco three days ago but it wasn't doing that much damage is my tank done cycling what happened ?

If those are the only things you changed then I would say you had a hungry pleco! lol

How can a inch and a half baby pleco eat over 300 sq in of algae it was heavy to not new algae ? Would the moss or lights have anything to do I haven't change my lights besides 12 s aday that's it

I put my 1.5-2 inch baby pleco into a badly covered in algea 30 gallon and nearly a few hours later he had cleaned off all the glass and was working on the plant leaves and wood! Id say he was just hungryyyy

Haha lol ok well thanks for all the help I feel much better about that is there anythin u can do to bring the algae back and keep him in the tank

likely a combination of the pleco eating algae and the moss ball outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

If you want algae (why would you) just keep the lights on longer. if you want to feed the pleco, just get algae wafers and throw one in every couple days.

You could also grow your own food for the little guy. Take a pan/jar, put some rocks in it, fill with water and set in a sunny window. Once you have algae on the rocks then put them in the tank.

I want the algae because it's healthy for the tank and very beneficial, and it feeds the pleco, I'm going for a self run tank as much as possible a healthy Eco is good to hve, besides WC the tank can run itself

vanimal said:
How do you get a tank to grow algae??

Have a healthy tank number one is clean water that's cycled and the right amount of lighting and time

Yeah I do alot of water changes. But it surprises me that my bro doesn't do alot of water changes and he grew alot of algae and our tanks were set up at the same time. I still dont have any.

You might have to add some supplimental food for the Pleco. Zucchini, or cucumber slices attatched to a rock, or algae wafers. It might starve otherwise.

Yes that is very good for them. I take the seeds out of the Cucumber, but lots of people don't. Just my personal preferance. Zucchini is good for them to, and it holds up a little better than cucumber does. If you want to grow a little more algae in your tank you can try a longer photoperiod each day.

Back
Top Bottom