my tank opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourami owner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bad picture but its finally done. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130730_215513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130730_215513.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 91
This may (or may not).be a stupid question, but, how can you have a crayfish with fish? Wouldn't it eventually hunt them all down?

This may (or may not).be a stupid question, but, how can you have a crayfish with fish? Wouldn't it eventually hunt them all down?

I get that a lot my lfs grew these crayfish with only crayfish there for they didn't know better. I bought 2 others raised with fish and they killed my fish. Another thing is one other crayfish snapped my current crayfishes claw off so he only has one lol

First I must defend the crayfish. I realize everyone has different results, but I have had and do have a lot of crayfish. Depending on type most have very similar temperments. I have had two indivduals that were just born killers, the Charles Manson of crayfish. Both of these were Clarkii. I have kept maybe 15 different individual Clarkii and those two were the only problem crays. As long as you don't stock bottem dwellers, corys, loaches, eels you should be fine for the most part. Fish with long flowing fines are susceptible to being captured. Aged male fancy guppies, bettas and that sort of thing. Other than that your crayfish should not bother anyone. may be susceptible. NOTE: The deeper the tank the less the threat.

Alleni like to chase fish. They are not good at chasing and worse at catching them. I have had them with guppys, gouramis, tetras and misc livebearers.

Marble crayfish don't even bother to chase. They just do crayfish stuff and ignore the fish. Mine reproduce with Endlers and Least Killies if that tells you something.

Cherax have claws so large compared to body size they can't move fast enough to catch fish that are dying until the end. They may be huge, but they are not a threat to the fish.

I have not kept the dwarf crayfish yet, that is next years summer project.

My question, how large is the tank? You have a number of fish with significant bioloads.

First I must defend the crayfish. I realize everyone has different results, but I have had and do have a lot of crayfish. Depending on type most have very similar temperments. I have had two indivduals that were just born killers, the Charles Manson of crayfish. Both of these were Clarkii. I have kept maybe 15 different individual Clarkii and those two were the only problem crays. As long as you don't stock bottem dwellers, corys, loaches, eels you should be fine for the most part. Fish with long flowing fines are susceptible to being captured. Aged male fancy guppies, bettas and that sort of thing. Other than that your crayfish should not bother anyone. may be susceptible. NOTE: The deeper the tank the less the threat.

Alleni like to chase fish. They are not good at chasing and worse at catching them. I have had them with guppys, gouramis, tetras and misc livebearers.

Marble crayfish don't even bother to chase. They just do crayfish stuff and ignore the fish. Mine reproduce with Endlers and Least Killies if that tells you something.

Cherax have claws so large compared to body size they can't move fast enough to catch fish that are dying until the end. They may be huge, but they are not a threat to the fish.

I have not kept the dwarf crayfish yet, that is next years summer project.

My question, how large is the tank? You have a number of fish with significant bioloads.

40g but I have bottom skimmers. Moss balls snails and bottom feeders that help me out big time

2 blue guramis
2 pearl gouramis
8 red rosies (lol)
1 albino shark minnow
2 plecos
1 crayfish
3 tetras

I like the tank and have always wanted a crayfish, I just haven't had the guts to try one with my fish.

I feel the need to point out that keeping more than 1 gourami in a tank usually ends in a lot of aggression. Males really really don't like each other.

I like the tank and have always wanted a crayfish, I just haven't had the guts to try one with my fish.

I feel the need to point out that keeping more than 1 gourami in a tank usually ends in a lot of aggression. Males really really don't like each other.

I have had my 4 for quite some time and they doing really well but I will just stop with the gouramis and get schooling fish I just don't know what kind

I have had my 4 for quite some time and they doing really well but I will just stop with the gouramis and get schooling fish I just don't know what kind

If the 4 works for you then more power to you :) I'd love to add some more to my tank but mine is an active aggressive jerk. He even attacks his own reflection.

Back
Top Bottom