My tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heinrich Lourens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I have a 30L tank with a Goldfish and 2 red eye tetras. I think its full already but my dad says I can put 2 more small fish in without a problem.
Judging from what I've read the minimum tank size for most fish is larger than the one I have currently.

Does anyone have some advice for me? (Larger tank is the solution but I just got this one and I don't have the money for a bigger tank.)

An 8 gal tank is way to small for a goldfish. One goldfish need at least 10-20 gallons. I would remove the goldfish then get a few small fish or shrimp. What kind of goldfish is it? Also, goldfish create a lot of waste and a filter for an 8 gal would not be able to keep up, causing a rise in ammonia levels. What kind of filter of you have?

Hello.

I have a 30L tank with a Goldfish and 2 red eye tetras. I think its full already but my dad says I can put 2 more small fish in without a problem.
Judging from what I've read the minimum tank size for most fish is larger than the one I have currently.

Does anyone have some advice for me? (Larger tank is the solution but I just got this one and I don't have the money for a bigger tank.)

How big is your goldfish?

No matter how big a goldfish is ( with the exception of fry ), they create lots of waste and even ones that are not big will need at least 10 gal.

Agree they create a lot of waste but I had 2 medium sized goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium, one lived for 5 years and the other one lived for almost 7.

No matter what size tank you end up getting, just do your frequent WCs and you should be fine.

5 and 7 is short for a fish with a lifespan of up to 20+. Not an accomplishment there. By the way, YOU asked if your tank is full, we said yes, and then you try to argue? If you already think it's not full, why would you ask?

5 and 7 is short for a fish with a lifespan of up to 20+. Not an accomplishment there. By the way, YOU asked if your tank is full, we said yes, and then you try to argue? If you already think it's not full, why would you ask?

Wrong again friend. I never asked if your tank is full, yuou must be referring to another poster. Secondly, I never said having a goldfish for 5 to 7 years was an accomplishment, I'm afraid you assume too much.

Hello.

Truly an 8g or 30 liter tank is much too small for a goldfish regardless of how many WC's you do. If you have a regular common GF, a comet, or even one of the fancy GF they all grow very quickly and will become stunted if kept in a tank that is too small. I have fancy goldfish and only keep 2 large ones in a 55g tank. They are still growing and will for many years and will need even larger accommodations soon. They summer out in a 500g pond.

Also GF are coldwater fish and should not be kept with tropical water fish which is what the tetra's are. GF produce a lot of ammonia which is very hard on other fish also. Not to even mention the amount of waste they produce. Honestly you need to find a suitable home for him sooner rather than later. And please do not get any other fish until this is done.

If you get rid of the GF then you will have room for some little fish. I wouldn't get more of those tetras even tho they do best in schools. Reason being is they get a little too large for a tank that size. I'm not sure the stock you have available over there but something like 5 "male" Endlers would be great. You get a lot of color when stocking males, don't have to worry about fry, and they are quite small so perfect for that size tank. Other wise research Nano fish and see if any are available where you live. Also shrimp are another good option for a small tank.

Almost forgot, Normal bottom filter (the charcoal and wool one) and my goldfish is 4-5cm. I actually had it in a 5L boal for a month while I waited for the pet store to get stock of tanks. It seemed ok.

Agree they create a lot of waste but I had 2 medium sized goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium, one lived for 5 years and the other one lived for almost 7.

No matter what size tank you end up getting, just do your frequent WCs and you should be fine.

That's just flat out wrong and terrifying advice.

Back
Top Bottom