My test results...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
my ph is in the 7.0 7.2 range
ammonia is 2.0 4.0 range
nitrite is 1.0 2.0 range
nitrate is in the 30 40 range

its a aquarium pharmaceuticals freshwater test kit
by the way one of my 2 mollie fry died could this be because of my levels??

i got a 2 way breeder kit and a bottle of freeze dried blood worms. my fish are having a hard time eating them so i was wondering if i could put them in a bag and some water let them re hydrate then freeze them? i just wanted to know if anyone has done that before so that all of the fish can get at the food?

ya the tank is about 2 weeks old 3 african dwarf frogs 2 platys 2 mollies 1 rainbow shark 1 red tail shark... ten gal. i'm going to upgrade to a bigger tank once i find a good deal and some money :lol: i will test my water out of the tap later once it has sat for awhile.

debomb4u said:
my ph is in the 7.0 7.2 range
ammonia is 2.0 4.0 range
nitrite is 1.0 2.0 range
nitrate is in the 30 40 range

its a aquarium pharmaceuticals freshwater test kit
by the way one of my 2 mollie fry died could this be because of my levels??

ammonia is toxic to fish at any level, so I would say yes. Also nitrite is toxic as well. Have you read anything about cycling?

Are you doing any water changes?. If not, you need to remove about 25% of the water and replace it with declorinated water of the same temp as the tank. Do this daily till you get the ammonia and nitrites down or you will kill all of your fish. :(

They are all right debomb. I'd do daily 25% water changes until the ammonia gets below 1. Do not vac the gravel or touch the filters during this process. They should go untouched until the tank is cycled.

looks to me you threw all the fish in without cycling first! you should've started with two until the tank was cycled (ammonia goes up, nitrite goes up, and then they both drop to zero) and then added one or two per week. you will DEFINITELY have to do daily water changes to keep ammonia levels down, and i forsee that it is going to take you a long time to get that tank balanced out. Good Luck!

ok yes i have been doing water changes every 2 days. and i know about the cycling. i bought the cycle in a bottle and thought it would cycle immediatly. i did a second test 2 days later and my results were:
ph 7.2 my tap water is ph 7.6
ammonia 1.0 ammonia 0
nitrite 1.0 2.0 range nitrite .25
nitrate 40 nitrate 0
i will be doing another test tomorrow... i dont want to use it all up
sorry i havnt been on in awhile but i was "grounded"

There has been debates regarding whether any product (other than Bio-Spira) can immediately or slowly cycle a tank.

From my experience (and research on this subject) "Cycle" cannot cycle your tank. It can surely assist but it will not work any faster or better than cycling without it.

That being said, your test results are confusing in the way you list them. I looks like you're doing a side by side comparision? Are you certain of these results? They don't appear accurate.

i was trying to show them side by side but it got moved over. the first one was my aquarium water the second was my tap water... just to make sure i wasnt adding ammonia or anything.
aquarium water #2 test
ph 7.2
ammonia 1.0
nitrite1.0-2.0 range
nitrate 40
tap water
ph 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrite .25
nitrate 0
sorry for the confusion but i will either do a test tonight or tomorrow... when i do the tests should i do it before water changes or after????

You should start going daily water changes. Those numbers are on the high side for cycling with fish.

my new test results are:
ph 7 - 7.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 1.5 - 2.0
nitrate 20 - 40
i do the water changes ever 2 days and i do 2 gallons when i do. i guess i'll do it every day.

did a test today:
ph 7
ammonia 0
nitrite .25 - .50
nitrate 10
is that a good place for the nitrate to be? the directions said that it should be around 40. i'm glad that my cycle is almost over :D

That is a perfect Nitrate reading. As long as it is UNDER 40, then it's great. Anything above 40, and you have a problem. It looks like the cycling is going along smoothly. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom