My Wal-Mart Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PockX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know there are tons of different stories about getting fish here, and I usually NEVER do.. But where I live peacock cichlids are $10+ for juvies (if the LFS has them, Petco/Petsmart don't care any by me) and Wal-Mart has them for $6 so I figured I would get them there, and they actually did look healthy. However, the other tanks there were tons of dead fish and after waiting for like 15min and asking employees for help with getting fish, a girl comes up and takes care of me. She puts the plastic holder for the bag like the normal way they do it, but the bag is almost 2 feet tall and she fills about 3inches of water in it for them. She doesn't roll down the bag so you could easily set the caught fish in the bag, but instead decides to put the fish in a measuring cup with no water in it first. After that she drops the fish from the top of the bag (2 ft) and falls into the water.

During all this another employee came and said not to do that, it'll shock them and she's like, "no..they're fine." I was just speechless. She did the same for my other peacock too. She then tied the bag off with no oxygen and said here ya go.

I didn't say anything and rushed home as fast as I could for the little guys. They were trying to eat bubbles and were starving. They look good now and are adjusting very well.

That's my story!

My walmart has almost all dead fish and it clogs up the horrible filter they have in the fish tanks and there is a bunch of body parts in the tank.....i really feel bad for the fish and i saved a pictus catfish.from there a while ago......it died recently but it was probably the best fish ive ever had

My walmart has almost all dead fish and it clogs up the horrible filter they have in the fish tanks and there is a bunch of body parts in the tank.....i really feel bad for the fish and i saved a pictus catfish.from there a while ago......it died recently but it was probably the best fish ive ever had

Yeah..I wanted to save more but I don't have the room. There was a pile of about 5-6 dead goldfish in a corner of that tank, and some were eating them.

Yeah,it seems like all walmart fish are like this.they don't need them if there just gonna kill them in a day

I was at Walmart today and the fish tanks looked disgusting! No upkeep whatsoever.

Why didn't you call the store manager or the store's headquarters and complain about the the lack of care for the fish?
A few years ago, a local pet store (it is a chain store but I don't want to say the name) had filthy fish tanks. I called the store headquarters and complained. The next time I went into that store the tanks looked a lot better.

This is a common thing in all walmarts seems like.i honestly can't remember a time I've looked at fish in Walmart and didn't see a dead fish in atleast one of the tanks.

The walmart near me isnt bad(just going by what I can see-never bought any there) the tanks always look clean w/ no dead fish... whoever looks after the tanks must have some clue on care especially Compared to these other stories !

Goldfish are said to me hardy fish......walmart makes them look really sensitive

Walmart is the devil and you caught a glimpse through their disguise of low prices.

honestly its not just walmart its everywhere . the people at petsmart half the time dont know what theyre doing either

honestly its not just walmart its everywhere . the people at petsmart half the time dont know what theyre doing either

Preach on! It is hilarious listening to them talk about fish care to their customers. Although there is this ONE lady at my local Petsmart who knows what she's talking about. And one time the store wouldn't let me buy fish because they had come in that day, I was impressed.

I am incredibly lucky with my local Petco. The woman who runs the fish department is a marine biologist working on a graduate degree. She's there for the money.

The other guy who works there keeps fish - he told me he moved to a 2br apartment so he'd have room for more tanks. I'm inclined to believe him given that he has two full sleeves of fish tats - including a pair of GBRs and a zebra pleco. He actually wouldn't let me buy fish from a particular tank because another tank on the same filter system had ich - a week previous. He said there weren't any signs that it has spread, but since I had other fish and no quarantine at the time, he didn't want to risk it.

I'm still blown away by those people. If only they carried the fish I want, lol.

pankelephant said:
I am incredibly lucky with my local Petco. The woman who runs the fish department is a marine biologist working on a graduate degree. She's there for the money.

The other guy who works there keeps fish - he told me he moved to a 2br apartment so he'd have room for more tanks. I'm inclined to believe him given that he has two full sleeves of fish tats - including a pair of GBRs and a zebra pleco. He actually wouldn't let me buy fish from a particular tank because another tank on the same filter system had ich - a week previous. He said there weren't any signs that it has spread, but since I had other fish and no quarantine at the time, he didn't want to risk it.

I'm still blown away by those people. If only they carried the fish I want, lol.

Wow... I wish all fish stores were like that. That's awesome.

Luckily, the people at my local petsmart are very good. One in particular even has a 400 gallon tank, and other big ones.

Back
Top Bottom