my water parameters after

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been in the hobby for six months and have had my 36g tank up for 5 months now, these are the water parameters

nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
pH 8.57
sodium 184 mg/l
alkalinity 500 mg/l CaCO3
hardness <25 mg/l CaCO3

stocked with:
4 Sunburst Platy's w/2 fry (maybe more to come lol)
5 red blue Tetra's
4 Cory Cats

planted with Anubus and Java ferns
I do 5 gallon water changes per week

I really enjoy this hobby, it is relaxing to just sit and watch the fish do their thing. My tank is doing well from a lot of the advice I have had from many here. THANKS !!

0 Nitrates is not necessarily a good thing in a planted tank. Granted, you have some very slow growers in there so you might not notice a nitrogen deficiency right away, but you might want to consider starting to supplement with some fertilizer in the tank.

0 Nitrates is not necessarily a good thing in a planted tank. Granted, you have some very slow growers in there so you might not notice a nitrogen deficiency right away, but you might want to consider starting to supplement with some fertilizer in the tank.
+1 to that.

Also, I think bigger water changes would be of help. 5 gallons out of 36 isn't a very large percentage. I am on a water change schedule of at least 2 50% water changes per week. Depending on the situation, I sometimes do even more. Your parameters are very good, but more water changes definitely will not hurt. I would say 1 25% water change a week would be fine, considering you are not that heavily stocked. I do a lot more because I can't stand the look of fish poop on the sand. :eek:

thanks for the input, I will start doing larger changes. Also, I wasn't aware zero nitrate was not so good thing, so I will start adding a supplement.

Yeah, plants like nitrates. One way to get more, though, without supplementing, would be to add more fish. IMO that is the most fun way, and you definitely have some room:).

Back
Top Bottom