Mysterious Floating Particles in Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I've had set up for a little over a year. For the last few weeks I've noticed these small floating particles in the water. It almost looks like dust when the lights are on - amostly exactly like if you looked at sunlight coming through a window in a dusty room. There's also these same particles floating on the surface of the water. Any ideas?

In the tank:
(1) Pictus Cat
(1) Queen Arabeque Pleco
(3) Preacox Rainbow Fish
(1) Dwarf Gourami
Plus a few live plants

Tank parameters are fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 15
GH 10, KH 7, PH 8.0

I have been dosing with Iron and Potassium a little heavier lately in this tank as the plants have looked a touch ragged. (I do test for Iron and it had been on the low-side in this tank.) That's the only thing that I can think of that has changed.

Sounds like you need a diatom filter. That will clear it up. I think that stuff's in all aquariums. It's harmless.

Kim

or a bamboo shrimp!

I think I may just have the start of too much build-up clogging the UGF. I might have to either break down the tank and either clean the UGF or remove it all-together. (The Fluval 104 by itself is sufficient.)

Or, someone suggested at least putting some filter floss on the output of the powerhead. Maybe that will hold me over for a while.

tetrin said:
same here...10g tank's recently cycled...ugf...strange particles...what did u do ultimately?

I had the lights turned off for 2 days thinking maybe it was free floating algae. I see no difference.

I've concluded that it's just floating crud. I just got a Vortex Diatom Filter that I'm going to use on it for the first time. It should at least temporarily solve my problem. But ultimately I plan to tear the tank down and remove the UGF which probably has a lot of build-up after a year of operation, and is what is likely causing my problem. UGF's are a pain. I'm going to eventually remove it and just use a small canister filter.

I'm going to guess that you are experiencing something different since you only recently cycled your tank. You most likely are still experiencing some bacteria bloom, or everything in your tank hasn't quite "settled" from when you first put the water in it. Some tanks can take 2 months or more before the water looks completely clear - and it will always get worse before it gets better.

A bamboo shrimp is much cheaper, the tank is always crystal clear, and they are fascinating to watch. I've got 2 in a 20gal with 2 fancy goldfish. Cleanest tank I've got.

Kim

i'm afraid there's a channel cat that has a mouth a lot bigger than i think! and bamboo or whatever shrimps i put in the tank may soon go down it's comfortable interiors...well palcm...probably u r right, its some kind of bacterial bloom, since this sprun up since i started putting some kent fertilizer every two weeks...and u r right, ugf's r a pain...but then again, some or a lot disagree :lol: ...thanks for the info

tetrin said:
i'm afraid there's a channel cat that has a mouth a lot bigger than i think! and bamboo or whatever shrimps i put in the tank may soon go down it's comfortable interiors...well palcm...probably u r right, its some kind of bacterial bloom, since this sprun up since i started putting some kent fertilizer every two weeks...and u r right, ugf's r a pain...but then again, some or a lot disagree :lol: ...thanks for the info

Bamboo Shrimp are about 3-4", so unless you have one HUUUUUGE cat fish, you would be OK. :) Regardless, I can't imagine a Bamboo Shrimp makes THAT much difference in a tank as far as floating particles go, but maybe I'm wrong.

If anyone has never had a Bamboo Shrimp before, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting one. They are totally cool. When you see them in the store they just look like boring brown shrimp doing nothing, but get one in your tank and let him get comfortable. It is really cool. They don't have claws, but these big fans on the end of arms, and then stick them out in the current and catch particles. When they get a particle the big fan closes and they stick the particle in their mouth. Trust me, it's neat-o. Really fun to watch. :D

would this shrimp be nice to my little danios, otos, and female bettas? They are much smaller, with the largest around 2 inches.

Yep. Unlike Crayfish or Lobster, Wood Shrimp don't have claws so they can't do any harm to anything. Some places also call them "Bamboo Shrimp" or "Singapore Shrimp"...Wood, Bamboo, Singapore - as far as I know they are all the same thing.

I would think a Bamboo Shrimp would be a great addition to a tank with smaller docile fish...a great contrasting creature that couldn't possibly harm them or eat them.

I actually got one a year ago at PetCo of all places. It was only $5.

hey thanks, i had no idea about the size of these creatures. i'll definitely try to get one...yeah, the cat's not big enough to gulp that big a shrimp :oops: ....my mistake...anyway, thanks for the info....and let's hope the white cloud goes away (can stay up in the sky... :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom