mysterious plant???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I think I figured the name of my plant out. Its "echinodorus ozelot" here is a pic. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110808_004341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110808_004341.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 100
Your Sword

Good morning o.jon...

I believe you're right. However, it needs to be removed from the pot and if there's rock wool inside the pot, that will need to be remove too. I prefer to grow these in larger plasic pots with organic potting soil covered by pea gravel. They grow much better.

B

BBradbury said:
Good morning o.jon...

I believe you're right. However, it needs to be removed from the pot and if there's rock wool inside the pot, that will need to be remove too. I prefer to grow these in larger plasic pots with organic potting soil covered by pea gravel. They grow much better.

B

Well I have had this one over a month now and he grows very nice and fast as well. Will the potting mix hurt my fish??

And also. Where can I get the potting mix. And will substrate work for it???

Your Sword Plant

Hello again...

No. The potting soil is organic and doesn't have anything in it that will harm your fish. Attached is a pic of one of my 55 G tanks. I have several potted plants in it along with about 150 Fancy Guppies. The plants grow very well in low light and filter the tank water too. I even use a smaller power filter and only change half the water about every three weeks.

The more plants you have the cleaner the tank water.

B

And also. Where can I get the potting mix. And will substrate work for it???

The organic potting soil can be picked up at most hardward stores very cheaply. I get the small pots with the holes in the bottom there too. Just fill the pot with an inch of aquarium pea gravel, then about two inches of potting mix. Put in the plant and put in another inch of potting mix and press everything down a bit to make sure the plant is secure and then top with more of the pea gravel. The gravel at the top will keep everything in the pot.

Lastly, carefully ease the pot down into the tank so the pot slowly fills with water. If you put in the pot too quickly, you can have a real mess to clean up, so easy does it!

The potting mixture will fertilize the plant for many weeks and make it easy to move the plant if needed. I also dose liquid fertilizers to help the plant through the initial growing period. Then fairly regularly afterwards.

B

Also. My tank is a 10 gallon. A pot like that would be rediculous in my tank. Can I just use substrate

I have this in my 10usg and have the fluval plant substrate and it's growing brilliantly.

Ickletas said:
I have this in my 10usg and have the fluval plant substrate and it's growing brilliantly.

Can we see a pic and also how do you make the plant spread. Can you break it apart at the root and have 2 and continue it

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it all. One more question. How do you spread the plant, like growing more from one of them?

Mine is just the one plant, I haven't tried to spread it so wouldn't have the first clue. My stoopid camera is broken and I need to get a new one but I'll check what I have on photobucket, there might be something. It started life as about 3 leaves and has a load of new growth now but I do co2 as well.

Ickletas said:
Mine is just the one plant, I haven't tried to spread it so wouldn't have the first clue. My stoopid camera is broken and I need to get a new one but I'll check what I have on photobucket, there might be something. It started life as about 3 leaves and has a load of new growth now but I do co2 as well.

Mine started as about 6 leaves and now has a bunch. When I get a bigger tank I will try spreading it. I know now as they get bigger they will start seperating or you just divide them and make sure they have enough roots on both

Back
Top Bottom