Mystery/Apple Snails are they POOP machines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
OMG i have bought yet another tank, I now have
a 3ft, 4ft. 6ft, and a 25 Ltr. No one told me that fish keeping was addictive!! LOL.....now to my questions:

I currently have 2 large Mystery Snails in my 20 Ltr (have to wc every 2 days) and was looking at putting them into my 4ft tank. BUT !!! they seem to be poop machines. Just wondering from those of you that have snails in your larger tanks how they go? Do you have to do WC's more often?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can share with me.

:fish2: :thanks:

I keep three mystery snails in my 29 gallon tank and only do water changes every 7 days. It is recommended you have one per 5 gallons of water. I find that 1 per ten gallons works best. You can cut back on feeding if they are pooing a lot. I only feed mine twice a week. They get plenty of food from leftover fish food and algae.

I think a song as you do weekly pwc and feeding appropriately then the real problem here might be your substrate.

I find that mystery snail poo shows up really easily on substrate that is fine like sand or dark colored. If you can use a larger grain and lighter colored substrate that should help with the poo issues.

Thanks heaps for your comments,

I am putting river sand in the tank so hopefully it will show up, I have Fluval Stratum in the small tank and cant see it, great products for plants though.

Good point about the feeding, I think I must be feeding them too much, so I will take your advice and feed only a couple x's per week.

Have a great day !!

My three nerites are egg laying fiends but I haven't noticed as much poop. With the co2 there is never a shortage if food.

Back
Top Bottom