Mystery deaths in quarantine! Can you solve it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 8 Cherry barbs day before yesterday. Brought them home to the quarantine tank I had already gotten set up for them. A 4 gallon Kritter Keeper, heater that was staying right at 80, and an air bubbler. Oh, and a small plant decoration for hiding.

I made it a point to look at them all really good after they'd been caught and bagged. All erect fins, and very active. I'd seen them at the store a few weeks prior and they had looked good then. I thought that was a good sign that they weren't already sick. The guy even mentioned they'd been there a while when I bought them.

I bring them home and one dies while being acclimated. I figured it must have been stress. I put the others in the Kritter Keeper, and all is fine. They had great appetites. I fed them well...maybe a little TOO well. Fed them twice yesterday. I fed them again this morning, and afterward I siphoned up the poop, then did a 40% water change. Within just a couple of hours, one is dead. Then, over the next hour TWO MORE died! I had checked on them frequently, and hadn't seen any signs of problems until within minutes of death.

My first thought was it HAD to be the water, for them to drop so fast like that. I felt I HAD to get them out of that water as quick as I could. So I netted and put the remaining ones in my 55 gallon (which was going to be their destination anyway). I have no other quarantine tank, so had no other choice.

The PH tested at 7.6, exactly the same as my tap. I tested the ammonia and got 0.25, but this was AFTER I'd done the water change. I'm wondering what it was BEFORE the water change. Also, (slaps forehead) I had put 8 fish into a 4 gallon container all at once. It hadn't even occurred to me, since they are such small fish. What do you guys think caused the deaths? So far, all are acting fine in the 55 gallon, although it's only been an hour.

I am getting 4 more Cherries from someone here on the board when it warms up a bit, and I want to be sure I don't make the same mistake twice! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, Delapool. The remaining Cherries are in the 55 gallon, as I mentioned, and I haven't lost any! A real mystery. I see a couple of dots that I HOPE are not ich on one of them, but I bet you it is, considering I got them at one of the "P" stores, lol. If so, I'll just use heat on the whole tank for a couple of weeks.

Yes, it's so easy to forget the stress these fish undergo before we even bring them into our homes. It's a shame, but I think my remaining ones will be alright. At least it appears that way for now. Thank you again.

Was the Quarantine Tank cycled? If you had 0.25 ppm ammonia after the water change, you definitely had more prior. How much water did you take out?

My guess is that it's ammonia that got them. Ich shouldn't kill them unless there are highly visible spots on them. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom