Mystery fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't sure what catagory this belongs in so if it gets moved I won't cry.

And if you enjoy this thread send thanks to Gillie for telling me I needed to document what I found.

I purchased a ton of plants in the mail from several sellers a few weeks ago. I had a medical crisis during this time so the plants sat in buckets for a few days in some dechlorinated water of course. Anyway I put the plants in various tanks without dipping them because I like to live dangerously or I'm just lacking in sense you pick. I first noticed a black fry swimming in my orange laser cory qt tank. At first I thought it was a black Moscow guppy because I have those and maybe I moved a plant from one of those tanks and forgot.

I just left it alone and have been throwing in a little crushed up flake food for it.

When I turn the lights on for the day and feed the fish it takes me at least 45 minutes because I inspect each tank closely. I make sure there were no jumpers and check for hatched eggs and new fry etc. One day I noticed a couple black fry swimming in my 55g where I keep my rainbows and plecos. I netted them out with a brine shrimp net and put them in a finnex refugium. I had to unplug it though otherwise these tiny fry would get washed right back into the main tank. So wanting to make these mystery fry more comfortable I pull out penny wort and place it in the refugium. A few days later I have all these microscopic fry swimming around. They are clear with big black eyes and they are so small that some of them struggle to eat microworms.

So yesterday somehow I had a epiphany. There was penny wart in both these tanks with the mystery fry. I pulled the rest of the penny wort out of my 55g and put it in a plastic container with tank water and the next day- yep a bunch of fry hatched. They are coming from amber splotches of gel that look like pond snail eggs and they are all over this particular plant. I've been feeding Hikari baby bites and microworms and so far so good.

I only have a camera on my phone but I'm going to try to take some pictures at least of the egg sacks which are very noticeable on the undersides of the leaves only.

I think I know who they came from and it's not a member of this forum. I'm trying to decide if I should email this person and ask what kind of fish they keep. It's kind of exciting really and I got free fish that I haven't had before but it's also a lesson about how easily things can be transmitted on plants even if you do rinse them first before putting in your tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried to get a pic of the mystery fry today. I've decided I'm not going to email the seller and ask what they are. If they live we will find out. I think whoever calls it should win a prize. I have to think of what the prize should be. I will keep updating pics as they grow. So ladies and gents let the guessing begin!

Attachments

• 1445412446538.jpg
    1445412446538.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 109
Hmm, from the description of the eggs you may have a Copella or Pyrrhulina species. If you have any leaves starting to break down in any tanks I would add some bits to help feed them.

Are you sure that they aren't rainbowfish? Rainbowfish like to lay their eggs in plants.

I had some dwarf neon rainbowfish in my 90 gallon and I took some plants out of the tank and placed them on my fire escape in a dish basin. A few days later I found fry in the basin. I tried raising the fry in a breeder net, but a danio jumped in and ate them all.

Are you sure that they aren't rainbowfish? Rainbowfish like to lay their eggs in plants.

I had some dwarf neon rainbowfish in my 90 gallon and I took some plants out of the tank and placed them on my fire escape in a dish basin. A few days later I found fry in the basin. I tried raising the fry in a breeder net, but a danio jumped in and ate them all.

Rainbows and killifish lay eggs singly over a period of time and they are never in a tight group.

I really have no idea. I don't know how large or small rainbows eggs are. The only tiny ones I have are two male Threadfin. The only other options are boesmani which I maybe have a male and female and Turquoise which I am sure I have both sexes. These plants were floating at the top on the tank and never planted. Also the penny wort that was in the orange laser cory tank that has a fry in it was never in the rainbow tank. It's not a cory fry and the corys have not produced eggs for me yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The eggs are more amber. Actually very amber. The fry are so freaking small I can't tell if they are speckled but for the most part of what I can see yes.

When I make it down there today I will take pics of the eggs. I forgot last night. I wasn't able to catch the line fry last night either.

Not since the pic of the last batch. Having a really hard time cleaning the containers they are in. I keep accidentally sucking them up with the turkey baster. They have no fear and don't get out of the way. As far the plant with eggs that I put in a plastic container no signs of anything hatching.

They are rainbow fish! You win a prize! Pm me for details.

;)

Rainbow fish fry!

More pics, I still find the way they were laid to be strange.

Not that I wouldn't believe you or anything, but we are due for update pics.
Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 that look just like this and a few more fry just hatched.

Attachments

• 1449185401045.jpg
    1449185401045.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 86
I have 3 that look just like this and a few more fry just hatched.

It's wierd that the eggs were laid the way they were and they ended up being rainbows, I definitely didn't see that coming.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe those were snail eggs and I just missed the rainbow eggs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom