Mystery fuzz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinksFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our Rainbow fish have been tuning into things and it looks like it has busted it's lip. It had healed and then a few weeks later we noticed it again. Yesterday when we got home we noticed that it's lip was white and fuzzy.
There is nothing else on this fish nor is there any white fuzzy stuff on our other fish. What could this be? Should we be worried about something going to our other fish?

Attachments

• image-2878070604.jpg
    image-2878070604.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2079164012.jpg
    image-2079164012.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 99
It definitely looks like a fungus.

Is he new to the tank?

What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

LyndaB said:
It definitely looks like a fungus.

Is he new to the tank?

What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

He has been in there for about 3 weeks. Right after we got him, the "skin" was flapping when he swam, like he had hit it or got into a fight with another fish. But it cleared up quickly. The white stuff appeared over night.

I checked the water night before last (since we just changed our substrate) and the ammonia was 0, nitrates were about 5 and the nitites were between 0 and 5. I need to do a water change tonight to help with the nitrites/nitrates. Do you think that could be it?

If it is columnaris, it is highly contagious..... when my tank went through it, I culled the two fish showing symptoms and that saved everybody else.

Can you QT this fish?

Are you seeing anything else like fin rot?

FishEggs said:
looks like cotton mouth aka columnaris.

I read where that is contagious-could that still be it if none of the others have it nor is is it any other place than his mouth?

LyndaB said:
If it is columnaris, it is highly contagious..... when my tank went through it, I culled the two fish showing symptoms and that saved everybody else.

Can you QT this fish?

Are you seeing anything else like fin rot?

I don't see any other this on any other fish nor do I see fin rot.

We currently do not have a QT tank :( as we don't really have the room for one.

It's strange because today the white fuzz was partially attached, like it was getting ready to fall off.

WinksFish said:
I don't see any other this on any other fish nor do I see fin rot.

We currently do not have a QT tank :( as we don't really have the room for one.

It's strange because today the white fuzz was partially attached, like it was getting ready to fall off.

Sorry for my typo's. I was updating on the app and not on the computer.

I think you guys are right about the Cotton mouth. After reading about it, it's identical to what we have been seeing. Now my dilemma, it looks like it's hard to get rid if, especially with no QT tank. I have even read where it's recommended to kill the infected fish. Seems a little drastic!

Any ideas of treatment or have we waited too late and it's a matter if time before I see it on other fish?

Thanks for the advise, I would hate to lose a whole tank :(

Update...it is now on our other rainbow! Oh no...I don't know what to do without a QT tank!

I just got a diamond tetra that has cotton mouth two days ago with my other stock. I am treating the tank with API pimafix which is made for fungal and bacterial infections (columnaris is bacterial I believe) which appears as what you are seeing and a few other iterations. I will be dosing pimafix for 7 days for my whole tank to see if I can cure it. Fish with stronger immune systems will probably not contract it, but those that are stressed or injured may... This may be why the busted lip fish caught it, the other may be stressed out. I will include a pic of my guy... I have another diamond that has a "pimple" on his chin which I believe is cottonmouth as well... Definitely don't kill the infected fish, try medication, go get some ASAP and start treating, I read it can kill within a few days if not treated.

Attachments

• image-3764105710.jpg
    image-3764105710.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 61
My guy does look slightly worse today, but just started medication last night, sorry for the double reply

Attachments

• image-1594659596.jpg
    image-1594659596.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 48
Ozydego said:
My guy does look slightly worse today, but just started medication last night, sorry for the double reply

Thanks for the information. Your guy looks like mine did about 3 weeks ago. I tried to get a decent picture of what they look like today, but I couldn't get it. The bigger one's lip looks like it is almost gone and the smaller one looks about like your picture. I will go to the pet store tomorrow for the meds you mentioned.

Should I also do a PWC? Or stop the carbon filter while I treat? Those are 2 things I read about...along with adding salt.

The medication recommends removing the carbon while dosing, and a 25% water change on the 8th day. The API treats for 7 days, I saw some that treated in 2 and 5 but I trust API for my tests, so I thought I would give it a shot... Not the cheapest of the three I saw, but not the most expensive. $ 9.99 for the bottle that treats my 55 gallon for 7 days, the 8 oz bottle. It also says natural and safe for even fragile fish, inverts and plants... I have a lot of plants...

If you can obtain some Acriflavine , that should take care of the problem. Rainbows are great fish, unfortunately they are prone to problems with their mouths. Did you notice a little goatee type growth on the bottom lip before the whole mouth was affected? that is usually the first tell tale sign. Most times a 15 to 20% W/C per day will remedy the problem. You might try that before you use meds. Your pics look like it might have advanced to a fungal infection. since there is nothing on the fishes body probably not Columnaris. If you can't obtain pure Acriflavine,API Fungus Cure would be my next choice. It contains Victoria Green and Acriflavine. This med may take two treatment courses to take care of the problem. Any of the dyes are a good choice for fungal and some secondary bacterial infections. If these treatments don't cure the problem you may have to get a little more aggressive. Kanamycin would be the next step. If it gets to this level, and you use Kanaplex, it would be best to use a hospital tank or something other than your main tank. Kanamycin can whack your bio filter. When I have had to use it I have seen the bio almost destroyed about 30% of the time. Lets hope the water changes or a less drastic treatment does the trick;)

After 3 days, my guys mouth is looking better... So far really happy with the API pimafix. The other one with the pimple looks fine now, how is your fish doing?

Back
Top Bottom