Mystery of the mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a mystery snail today. Yesterday I cut loose the fishing line holding down the moss on my faux log. I saw the snail start to climb, and was like, "Uh oh. There goes my moss." When to my surprise, this fellow just glided across the moss with the utmost of grace.

Whether this is a testament to the tenacity of the moss's miniroots, the snail's light touch, or a combo of both, I can't figure out, but it sure made me feel more comfortable about the idea of adding him.

How big is he right now? Mine tears everything down LOL, but she is the size of a golfball now. When I hold her in my hand, I can barely feel her on my hand, so I think they are actually pretty graceful too! :) Congrats on your new purchase, you will love him!

How big is he right now? Mine tears everything down LOL, but she is the size of a golfball now. When I hold her in my hand, I can barely feel her on my hand, so I think they are actually pretty graceful too! :) Congrats on your new purchase, you will love him!

He's about half that. Around the size that you usually see them in stores. Supposedly he's "blue" but his shell looks more like a very light shade of green to me. And the face, omg the face. It kinda freaks me out. Its sort of black with little red markings that say "Don't mess with me, sucka!" :rocket:

yikes DK that's a big one.

I got bored and bought a few mysteries last week. Put them in a new tank where the albino cherry barbs are... they haven't touch the plant yet, as far as I can tell. However, what algae was in the tank has been attacked pretty well. Yay snails ;0 btw, my 'blue' ones aren't very blue either. Mostly dark. The orange/yellow one is pretty bold looking though.

Well, yours will get that big too LOL. ;)

I have this one, had a brown one, an orange one and an ivory one. I was in LOVE with the ivory one, because it had the ivory shell, but a blue body. I wish they wouldn't have died....

The clutches that this one has laid have started to look like they are falling apart, so I am hoping that they hatched and I just can't see the babies yet! I have noticed some clear things on the glass, so I think those might be the babies, and I am VERY curious as to what colors they will be. :)

With a couple of days from entering my tank, one of them laid eggs on the top front glass... group of dark ones. They disappeared rather quickly though... eaten?

Hmm, well I have a snail only tank, so I don't know about fish eating them. I don't think they lay dark eggs though, all the ones I have seen are pink. It would be hard for a fish to eat them, but my snail knocks hers down off the lid and glass all the time, and I have to net the clutch out of the tank, hence the name Destroyer. ;)

DK, was it you who was talking about keeping snails in a pail to breed them? maybe that was on the DP site.... I read it somewhere. I think when I get some snails I am going to try and breed them seperately, but I only have 5G QT and I am trying really hard not to turn it into something.... it's only a matter of time before MTS kicks again lol . And I don't mean the snail ;)

It was on this site, but mine have their own 10G tank, no fish in there, I think it might have been WhiteDevil who said you could keep them in a bucket.

At my lfs they have a tank of snails. I dont know what they are but a pleco eats a layer of the shell off so they turn baby blue. It is very cool. I dont think they are hurt. I'm sure its not pleasant having your shell eaten but thats what they got.

Back
Top Bottom