Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mystery of the mystery snail

I picked up a mystery snail today. Yesterday I cut loose the fishing line holding down the moss on my faux log. I saw the snail start to climb, and was like, "Uh oh. There goes my moss." When to my surprise, this fellow just glided across the moss with the utmost of grace.

Whether this is a testament to the tenacity of the moss's miniroots, the snail's light touch, or a combo of both, I can't figure out, but it sure made me feel more comfortable about the idea of adding him.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is he right now? Mine tears everything down LOL, but she is the size of a golfball now. When I hold her in my hand, I can barely feel her on my hand, so I think they are actually pretty graceful too! Congrats on your new purchase, you will love him!

Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
How big is he right now? Mine tears everything down LOL, but she is the size of a golfball now. When I hold her in my hand, I can barely feel her on my hand, so I think they are actually pretty graceful too! Congrats on your new purchase, you will love him!

He's about half that. Around the size that you usually see them in stores. Supposedly he's "blue" but his shell looks more like a very light shade of green to me. And the face, omg the face. It kinda freaks me out. Its sort of black with little red markings that say "Don't mess with me, sucka!"
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, mine is just like that! Her shell is more green than blue, but I love her face! She looks like an alien.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Destroyer
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
Destroyer
Yeah, I guess it is more of a green. Mine is pretty much about the same color.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yikes DK that's a big one.

I got bored and bought a few mysteries last week. Put them in a new tank where the albino cherry barbs are... they haven't touch the plant yet, as far as I can tell. However, what algae was in the tank has been attacked pretty well. Yay snails ;0 btw, my 'blue' ones aren't very blue either. Mostly dark. The orange/yellow one is pretty bold looking though.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, yours will get that big too LOL.

I have this one, had a brown one, an orange one and an ivory one. I was in LOVE with the ivory one, because it had the ivory shell, but a blue body. I wish they wouldn't have died....

The clutches that this one has laid have started to look like they are falling apart, so I am hoping that they hatched and I just can't see the babies yet! I have noticed some clear things on the glass, so I think those might be the babies, and I am VERY curious as to what colors they will be.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With a couple of days from entering my tank, one of them laid eggs on the top front glass... group of dark ones. They disappeared rather quickly though... eaten?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, well I have a snail only tank, so I don't know about fish eating them. I don't think they lay dark eggs though, all the ones I have seen are pink. It would be hard for a fish to eat them, but my snail knocks hers down off the lid and glass all the time, and I have to net the clutch out of the tank, hence the name Destroyer.

Tags
mystery snail, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com