Mystery Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just decided I want a Mystery Snail or two for my birthday for my betta tank. :)

What do I need to know about them?

My betta, Jitterbug, is in his 10g tank alone.

Chronos313 said:
If you get 2 you may get a male and female and end up with 40-200 lol!

So I can get just one and be ok, right? Anything I should look for when picking one out? I'll be going to Petsmart.

I'd look for the cleanest shell IMO, but if you get a female just be wary that they can store sperm for 3 months so you may end up with eggs. The eggs may be fertilized they may not be but it takes like 2 weeks to know. All I did was use a flashlight to look for black dots and had 1 out of 3 batches fertilized

If you lived in Canada I would mail you some home bred ones. I have some that are golden apple and some that are brown with farmers stripes on em. I'm hoping one of my golden will mate with my blue mystery. Thatd be sweetness

jetajockey said:
The mystery snails at my local petsmart are horrible looking, I hope yours are better. I got some beautiful ones in the mail to make up for it, at least.

Hmm... I know it varies by store.. Some Petsmart's I'll purchase fish from... Some have fish with mold growing in gravel and dead fish stuck to intakes and some have bright healthy colored fish.

Would you suggest the mail? What website? How much?

Depends on if you are looking for certain colors. I see hobbyists selling them from time to time. I have several but they are all the same color, varying shades of brown and white stripes with white feet. They ship well so it shouldn't cost much to have them shipped, I'm willing to bet they'd be fine in first class as long as they are insulated from shock well.

Your petsmart might have some nice ones though, who knows, they vary so much from store to store. The ones at my petsmart were pretty horrid, both ivory and black were dull and chipped up.

jetajockey said:
Depends on if you are looking for certain colors. I see hobbyists selling them from time to time. I have several but they are all the same color, varying shades of brown and white stripes with white feet. They ship well so it shouldn't cost much to have them shipped, I'm willing to bet they'd be fine in first class as long as they are insulated from shock well.

Your petsmart might have some nice ones though, who knows, they vary so much from store to store. The ones at my petsmart were pretty horrid, both ivory and black were dull and chipped up.

I went to Petsmart my first month in this hobby to see what this Mystery Snail thing was and why didn't anyone know what it was.. Hahahaha.. Well the first thing I saw was a really niceeeee golden yellow snail..... They had many like it... They have BLUE??? blue is my favorite color :)

I have a yellow and also a black Mystery snail and I would definitely recommend a light color. They stand out in the tank and look awesome under good lighting! I saw an Ivory snail at Petsmart the other day that looked pretty nice too!

NickB8951 said:
I have a yellow and also a black Mystery snail and I would definitely recommend a light color. They stand out in the tank and look awesome under good lighting! I saw an Ivory snail at Petsmart the other day that looked pretty nice too!

I seen one of the ivory mystery snails too. VERY pretty. Add this to the long list of wanted fish.

Aw, I just sold/gave away the last of mine. I only have my male left.
Hope you find a good one! And if you find a less than awesome one you can give it a cuttlebone or some kale leaves and it'll look great in a few weeks. ;)

Anyone know do golden mystery snails start of dark in color? I have had 2 goldens for about a month, now found two tiny black mystery looking snails. Wondering if I had some cling ons to plants or did I have breeding.

Anyone know do golden mystery snails start of dark in color? I have had 2 goldens for about a month, now found two tiny black mystery looking snails. Wondering if I had some cling ons to plants or did I have breeding.

Here's a picture of the baby snail my yellow mystery snail had recently. It's dark in color, but we will see what happens!

(the baby is the little thing on the mom's shell)

Attachments

• b0c24406a234__1333141249000.jpg
    b0c24406a234__1333141249000.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 70
NickB8951 said:
Here's a picture of the baby snail my yellow mystery snail had recently. It's dark in color, but we will see what happens!

(the baby is the little thing on the mom's shell)

Thanks, for info here is a picture of one I had found.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120403_181252.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120403_181252.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom