Mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 mystery snails. One of them is always at the top of the water. the other doesn't bother much with trying to get out. I figured maybe its time for eggs? well i dropped the water level a few inches and the snail stays at the top and sits but nothing happens then the snail descends.. this happens alot. waters clean, levels are good. im kinda lost on what the snails doing. any ideas?

well guys here it is!!! what now?? =D

oj2fye.jpg

You could leave it alone and see what happens. I've had them hatch while sitting like that, as long as there's nothing in the tank that'll eat a tiny snail they will do OK. If you are concerned with predation though just use a razor or sharp knife and remove the egg case. Put it in a tupperware container on a damp paper towel or two, cover it, and then check on it every few days.

You want the baby snails? Just make sure they get the right amount of moisture and in a few weeks throw a piece of cuttlebone in for the calcium.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Be aware that one egg case can have anywhere from 30 to 100 babies in it. You can cut the egg case down to a smaller size with a sharp knife or razor blade so you only hatch a few snails. I hatch them by putting them in a small butter bowl or other container. I dampen a sponge and set the egg case on that and then put a small amount of water in the bottom. It takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to hatch. The warmer they are kept the sooner they hatch. Warm water will shorten their life span though.

If they hatch you will see a huge number of them, tiny little dots all over the tank glass near where the eggs were. I would recommend no wiping off the interior of the glass so that there will be some film for them to graze on.

Be aware that one egg case can have anywhere from 30 to 100 babies in it. You can cut the egg case down to a smaller size with a sharp knife or razor blade so you only hatch a few snails. I hatch them by putting them in a small butter bowl or other container. I dampen a sponge and set the egg case on that and then put a small amount of water in the bottom. It takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to hatch. The warmer they are kept the sooner they hatch. Warm water will shorten their life span though.

OMG! really?! Im going to use the butter container method! tyvm for the help guys n gals!:D

If they hatch you will see a huge number of them, tiny little dots all over the tank glass near where the eggs were. I would recommend no wiping off the interior of the glass so that there will be some film for them to graze on.

awesome thanks ! =D

Back
Top Bottom