Mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

App

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a mystery snail last night. When I put him in the tank, he starting eating like any snail would. Now he's just sitting on the bottom inside his shell. I have pond snails and they're doing fine, so I know the water isn't bad. Is this normal behavior? Will he just come out of it?

I've had mystery snails not move for days and I think they're dead. I've also had them float around for a day and I've thought they were dead. The only way to tell for sure is to take it out and smell it. If it's dead you will know it otherwise he's probably okay. You can try putting some lettuce or zucchini in the tank if you are worried which might entice him to move about but unless he stinks he's probably fine. Anything in the tank bothering him? If you have a fish that is too interested or threatening that will prompt them to stay tucked in their shell more but it is normal for them to seem dead for a bit.

i wouldnt even worry unless its been a a few wks, with no movement , these guys spend a majority of the colder time of the yr in there shells, he might also just be taking a chill pill. one way aside from the food, if it has been a while since and u tried the smell thing and couldnt decide(which wont happen u will know the smell when u get him out of the water, TRUST mE), u can take him out and put him in some water a few degrees warmer, well a couple rather, the change in temp usually makes them come out to check out the new surroundings.

He's probably just got a full tummy. He might have been hungry when you got him so he cruised around looking for food. Now he's not hungry so he really doesn't have a reason to go anywhere. Don't worry too much about it yet. Snails love to make you think they're dead.
If he remains inactive, I'd test your pH. They're more active (mine are, at least) with a ph over 7.2-7.4.

If he's completely closed up then there's nothing to worry about. If he's partially open then he may be swollen for one reason or another. Should that ever happen and he stays that way (partially open for an extended period) and he's alive then place him in a shallow dish of cool (not cold) water. For some reason that does the trick most of the time.
Enjoy your snail ! I love mine

I'm grateful to hear that about snails. I bought mine a few weeks ago and I noticed that he will be all around the tank for a day or two, followed by a day or two of doing nothing and staying in one place. I really thought he was dead. Glad to hear that's normal snail behavior.

Just keep us updated :)

I have 3 large apples. I just checked them all. They are all open, and on the glass. And havent moved in about 12 hours....Never seen this behavior before and I have had them for a while. 3 of them, at once, doing teh exact same thing...and that thing is weird too :/ oh well, all the baby apples are cruising around, tryin not to be eaten....tehy dont relzie that noone in that tank cares much for snails...they would rather eat each other.

Are the three of them at the water line or just "any old place" ? If at the water line check your parameters including nitrates - I noticed mine slow down as nitrates go up. Mine also perk up quite a bit after a water change, so you might try that too.

Back
Top Bottom