Mystery snail question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to my local fish store and saw that there's was one mystery snail left for only 2.99. Size is between small and medium, nothing size crazy. My concern is, can they get out of the tank easily? For example on the back where the filter is??
He is hanging out by the filter so I am concern that he will crawl his way out of the tank.
Here is a picture. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422674490.685640.jpg

Any tips on how to take care of him?
Any information is welcome
Thanks
Bri

They will climb out of the tank. I've never had it happen but they are known to. Does your tank have a lid? If it's just a little opening where the filter is I'd say you're okay, you could put something there to block it off though, cardboard, styrofoam, a towel. They're easy to take care of, just make sure you have either hard water or give him something with calcium to keep his shell healthy. Also, make sure you have some air at the top of the tank, they will breathe oxygen with a little tube that extends out of their shells. I have two golden ones in my tank I've been trying to get to breed, pretty sure I have a male and female and I have three egg clutches along the rim of the tank so hopefully something comes from one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They will climb out of the tank. I've never had it happen but they are known to. Does your tank have a lid? If it's just a little opening where the filter is I'd say you're okay, you could put something there to block it off though, cardboard, styrofoam, a towel. They're easy to take care of, just make sure you have either hard water or give him something with calcium to keep his shell healthy. Also, make sure you have some air at the top of the tank, they will breathe oxygen with a little tube that extends out of their shells. I have two golden ones in my tank I've been trying to get to breed, pretty sure I have a male and female and I have three egg clutches along the rim of the tank so hopefully something comes from one of them.

It's a pretty big hole. It's were the filter is. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422675266.389480.jpg
And what you mean hard water???

Hard water has more dissolved minerals such as calcium and magnesium. You can buy a test to figure out the hardness of your water. The snail needs a good amount of calcium in order to keep his shell from dissolving and to keep him healthy. Crushed coral, calcareous rocks such as limestone, and I think some people put cuttle bone into their tank to increase the calcium in the water. These will also raise the pH though so you'd need to be careful with your other fish and make sure it's a gradual increase. There are certain foods made for invertebrates and snails that contain calcium though as well, or you can blanch some vegetables that have good amounts of calcium. Mine love kale, for instance.

Hard water has more dissolved minerals such as calcium and magnesium. You can buy a test to figure out the hardness of your water. The snail needs a good amount of calcium in order to keep his shell from dissolving and to keep him healthy. Crushed coral, calcareous rocks such as limestone, and I think some people put cuttle bone into their tank to increase the calcium in the water. These will also raise the pH though so you'd need to be careful with your other fish and make sure it's a gradual increase. There are certain foods made for invertebrates and snails that contain calcium though as well, or you can blanch some vegetables that have good amounts of calcium. Mine love kale, for instance.

Will follow your advice! Thanks a lot.
Pretty excited for my first snail

I have mystery snails in my tanks. The back is open on one of mine(working on cutout for HOB) and my snails have never tried that I know of to climb out they just climb up then go back down.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just hasn't happened to me. Keep an eye on them.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

If it's a new tank and you don't have algae on the walls consider feeding the snail. I give mine Omega one algae wafers and Romaine or Zucchini.

Be careful adding things to the tank to increase hardness, unless you know that the fish in the tank are okay with it. A small piece of Cuttlebone should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have mystery snails in my tanks. The back is open on one of mine(working on cutout for HOB) and my snails have never tried that I know of to climb out they just climb up then go back down.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just hasn't happened to me. Keep an eye on them.

Caleb

I put a towel so it wouldn't get out so hopefully that will do it while I'm out of the house. And I only have one but they so stinky cute I want another one

If it's a new tank and you don't have algae on the walls consider feeding the snail. I give mine Omega one algae wafers and Romaine or Zucchini.

Be careful adding things to the tank to increase hardness, unless you know that the fish in the tank are okay with it. A small piece of Cuttlebone should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I was reading about that. They like pretty much anything green. Will give him something when I get home today.

I put a towel so it wouldn't get out so hopefully that will do it while I'm out of the house. And I only have one but they so stinky cute I want another one

Before I got them I never realized how fun it was to watch them move around the tank. Now I watch them as much as the fish! Lol

Caleb

Before I got them I never realized how fun it was to watch them move around the tank. Now I watch them as much as the fish!

Caleb

Oh I bet :) I put him in and he right away started moving around. Even my little crab likes him.
I love my fishies!

Back
Top Bottom