Naked tank.. Sort of.. Need plant/scaping ideas..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took out all of my fake plants.. Going to give them to my niece with her 29g I just got her.. Tank looks like heck from moving the sand around..

However, now my tank is naked.. I have had a Java Fern in there for quite some time.. However, the old leaves are quite spotty.. I got a couple bamboo shrimp tonight and asked about their plants.. They gave me a Amazon Sword as you can see in the middle.. My budget it not going to allow for Co2.. Just not going to happen.. Anyhow, toss out some ideas..

fish.jpg

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

I always forget something.. I run 2x54 10kk bulbs with individual reflectors... I can go all the way up to 4x54, but prefer to keep it slow and steady.. :)

i always seem to forget something too :) You'll probably wanna stay in the lower light end of the spectrum, IMO. I like the looks of anacharis, mosses, and anubias. There are tons of other options though, those are just some of my personal favorites. I think the anacharis would help alot with breaking up the 'bare' look of the tank quite a bit, and you have lots of driftwood to anchor anubias and mosses.

water sprite will grow in sand nicely, but sand is the issue with plants, some take to it some just rot.

Id put some moss on the wood, add bigger pieces of wood then use java ferns and anubias tied to the wood.

Water sprite grows like a freakin' weed in sand with the right light. I've got 36W of T5 and, I think, 52W of CFLs on my 20L and I have to trim my water sprite at least twice a month or the fish run out of space to swim.

Personally, I think I would get some bigger pieces of driftwood and attach plants to it. I really like the look of java fern on the driftwood I have. I really like the look of anacharis as a background plant. It grows tall and fast. If you're patient, you can start with one bunch and plant your entire background by trimming and planting what you cut off.

I don't think I'd go with any brighter light without CO2. You're just asking for algae problems.

water sprite will grow in sand nicely, but sand is the issue with plants, some take to it some just rot.

Id put some moss on the wood, add bigger pieces of wood then use java ferns and anubias tied to the wood.

+1 on the moss, you can go flame moss which is pretty sweet! You can never have enough rock either so that's something to look at.

Water sprite grows like a freakin' weed in sand with the right light. I've got 36W of T5 and, I think, 52W of CFLs on my 20L and I have to trim my water sprite at least twice a month or the fish run out of space to swim.

Personally, I think I would get some bigger pieces of driftwood and attach plants to it. I really like the look of java fern on the driftwood I have. I really like the look of anacharis as a background plant. It grows tall and fast. If you're patient, you can start with one bunch and plant your entire background by trimming and planting what you cut off.

I don't think I'd go with any brighter light without CO2. You're just asking for algae problems.
try a 24" deep tank, 1.5" of sand so 22.5" plus the 6" so truly 28.5" away from a measly 4000k and 6000k t-12's @ 24" length.

It grew weird though, it "ran" across the top of the same then went up then stopped after 6-7" of verticle growth then started growing bushy.

I think the planting issue was the only true reason I got rid of sand.
two years back I got some plants from FORT and they did great once they got out of the sand, still got em too and growing just fine in flourite.

Is flame moss truly aquatic? I've heard mixed things. I really wanted it, but I didn't want it to die, so I bought other stuff. I think I bought Christmas moss that was being sold as Java moss, so I'm happy anyways.

I havnt heard that at all, just that its a verticle grower not a bushy moss, the fronds twist like candle flames.

Ive only found any info on it to always show it and describe it as an aquatic.

I'd also suggest some tall plants. Jungle val or Chilensis sag, crypts are always nice, any variety of swords except brazilian (not truly aquatic) can fill in from front to back since they come in all sizes. Micro sword all the way to the big mama amazon. Java ferns and some anubias can get tall.

Some easy stalk plants: rotala indica, ludwigia repens. Both get really pretty reds to them and can grow tall or you can trim them short. Stargrass can grow tall and bushy.

If you liek the "lily pad" look, banana plants or tiger lotus (red or green version)

These are all easy plants that I have great luck with and put minimal effort into.

Thought I would update my naked tank pics.. Got a few pieces of tall driftwood.. I really like the piece on the right, not sure about the one on the left.. I broke up my Java Fern and placed it throughout the piece on the right.. Anyhow.. Here they are...

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

I thought I had a lot going on.. Except for maybe the lack of plants.. Hehehe...

Back
Top Bottom