Name the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladystacy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396465066.428743.jpg

Hi a friend of mine has given me this fish and I don't know what it is! It is about 1-2 inch long and is quite and aggressive fish :) any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Agree with the above poster, definitely an apisto of sorts. Dwarf cichlids can be quite territorial when they don't feel like they have enough shelter. Floating plants and lots of plants and hidey holes will help it calm down.

Same as above.
May be aggressive if not enough hiding and if it's in a small tank. Generally though very peaceful and responsive

Looks like mine, just has the rounded out tail fin..

Attachments

• image-186733638.jpg
    image-186733638.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks guys this is my tank it's 64l and currently only has 2 kissing gouramis 2 tetra, 2 bottom feeders in with her should I be adding more hiding places?

Thanks I still new to this :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396478086.883710.jpg

Thanks guys this is my tank it's 64l and currently only has 2 kissing gouramis 2 tetra, 2 bottom feeders in with her should I be adding more hiding places?

Thanks I still new to this :)

Ouch, that's only 16 gallons or so... You're overstocked, hence the aggression. Kissing gourami get up to 6" long and require a 30 gallon tank. They also can be a bit aggressive themselves. Most apistos require 20 gallon tanks and will be quite aggressive to their tank mates without a tank large enough for them to establish a territory. Hard to say on whether those bottom feeders are too much for the tank without knowing the species, but most cories, plecos, and loaches (the usual bottom feeders) require 20 gallons as well. The tetras are possibly the only fish that are suitable for the tank :(

Please try to find out what species your bottom feeders are and then plug your stock into the aqadvisor.com stocking calculator. It's not perfect, but it gives you a good ballpark idea of what stock will fit in your tank and be compatible together. Fine tune your findings with additional research and asking for other's experience. You'll have a much happier and stable tank this way.

Back
Top Bottom