Name the most interesting fish or species you have kept...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwerveDriver

Aquarium Advice Regular
What species have you had in your tank that you found either interesting in terms of activity, habits, mating, character, etc... Or perhaps you had one fish with some peculiar habits.

I have two honey gouramis that are constantly searching for food. They are the only species in my tank that appear to acknowledge my presence and often stare at me when I peer into the tank. I thought gourami's where top to mid level dwellers, but mine tend to hang out all over my tank and are often found suck my gravel for food like a catfish. Not to mention they add some nice colour to my tank.

Zebra Danios- for their hyper-activity and always playful personality

Female Bettas- just as beautiful as the males and PACKED with personality. I believe the don't get the respect they deserve and are overall under-rated.

My angel fish would prefer to be a vegetarian. I keep putting in things like peas and spinach for my ottos and the angel is eating it ALL!! You should see its poop. Its greener than the ottos!!!

Of course Im going to say OSCARS.

They have a personalty unmatched by any other fish..IMO.
They follow me from one end of the tank to the other.
Come to the top at feeding time and take food from my hand.
They even let me pet them.

They are just very smart and interesting fish.

I had about 5-6 feeder fish that my turtle would just NOT eat. They stayed in his tank for about 3-4 months. Then one day I came home to find the turtle was a little hungry that night, and he ate them all! That might not be too unusual, but it's the most interesting thing I got.

Now, I'd have to say my new African Cichlids have a TON of personality. As I was moving some big rocks around today to make another cave in their tank, my Nimbochromis came up and bit my hand! Brave little sucker for being 3" long!

My Africans are consistently entertaining, there is always something going on with them.
I also have a clown loach that each day decides he's a different fish. One day he's swimming around everywhere with the barbs and the next he's trolling the bottom with the cories.

Probably 25 years ago I caught a largemouth bas about 3 inches long at a local lake. He had more personality than any tropical I have ever had. After about a year and a half, he was eating me out of house and home and was 11 inches long. He was given a new home in a friends private pond.

my 2 clown loaches are insane.. they swim to the top and eat floating flakes, then they move , dig , and go verticle into the gravel for more eats. oh yeah and when they go upside down to get some underneath a leaf..fuuny, and sometimes one of them spazzes out and just goes up n down and into the side of the tank for a good 5 minutes.

I love my angels. I've only had them 3 weeks but within a week whenever I walked by the tank theywould follow me around the tank and have their faces pressed against the corner. Really friendly little fishies....

Carolyn

Meredith said:
My angel fish would prefer to be a vegetarian. I keep putting in things like peas and spinach for my ottos and the angel is eating it ALL!! You should see its poop. Its greener than the ottos!!!

After a really rough day at work. I could'nt stop laughing after reading your post Merideth. Are you sure your not spending to much time with your nose pressed to the glass?

I have a couple I enjoy. Its really great to watch my GB Rams. They have such a great personality, not to mention, racing hormonies and great parenting skills.

However the Discus are fascinating as well. In the evening when we're moving about. You should see them gracefully pacing the tank. Saying 'Look at me", "feed me". Then when you get close to the tank, they really start turning on the charm. Truely an incredible fish to care for and observe.

Thanks for the laugh Merideth :wink:

my 12inch clown knife was my favorite. knew when it was feeding time and just looked awesome...

Well my most interesting has to be my school of tiger barbs, they most certainly put some movement in the tank, my tank resembles a food processer on occasion. but my fave, most personable fish is my Peacock eel. He will sit in my hand and eat his tubifex worms when I cup my hand just under the surface. safe from the tiger barbs and Gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom