Name this cat fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish madness

Aquarium Advice Regular
An anyone name what species this is. I found I one day when cleaning tanks and they just let me have him. Any help would be great.

image-1350539072.jpg

megalechis- hoplo catfish ! These are awesome fish I used to have 6 of them in my planted tank see if you can find another one as they like to shoel together :)

It looks more like an Auchenoglanis to me ... though I'm no catfish expert. Do an image search on that genus and see if anything matches up.

Tony

I spoke to a friend of mine who breeds catfish and it's either a hoplo or a dianema urostiate "flagtail catfish "

Wow.. the flag tail is way off. What does he breed?

How about a better pic OP.

Hoplos are Callichthyids (armoured catfish), with two rows of plates on the body, and a relatively short adipose fin (the fleshy fin on the back behind the dorsal fin). The pictured fish appears to be naked (i.e., without plates) and has a relatively broad adipose fin. To me it looks like an auchenoglanid, a family of African catfishes that were formerly included either in the family Bagridae or (more recently) the Claroteidae.

I had earlier suggested Auchenoglanis as a possibility, but it would be a good idea to also do images searches on several similar auchenoglanid genera to see whether one matches. Ones to check are Anaspidoglanis, Liauchenoglanis and Parauchenoglanis.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom