nano fish experts, compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon, moderately planted tank. Tank is matured with stable water parameters and weekly WCs performed.

I have planned a tank with small fish in schools/shoals all along. I have 12 neon tetras and 9 cory habrosus. Through online order, today I received 10 green rasboras and 12 boraras brigittae. Drip acclimated them into the tank. No QT tank, which I know is a no-no, but I don't have one.

I had researched the fact that all 4 of my fish species will be close to 1 inch when matured. The green rasboras I received are mature (or close to) and are about the size of my neons and habrosus. They are out and about and already colored nicely.

The brigittae, however, are tiny; probably 1/2 the size of the other species at best. They are hiding, which obviously isn't a big deal given they have been in the tank for less than half a day.

For those who have owned these (brigittae), did you keep them with other fish and if so, how did they do? I am a bit worried about the size differential and wondering if I made a mistake.

Last edited:
It should be ok. They just may hide alot. I havent had them but I imagine it should be ok.

I always kept them in small species tanks. I think you see more of them that way and they are easier to feed. The neons are going to get MUCH larger than the brigittae, hopefully they will coexist without too much stress to the brigittae. The good news is that in my experience, they are a lot less shy than, say, celestial pearl danios.

The stocking seems ok for a 29g. I hope it's a 29g wide, tetras prefer large (wide) aquariums for swimming.

I hope they coexist as well. It would be very difficult to get them out of the tank. I was trying my best to only place appropriate tankmates together.

Information on the brigittae is relatively sparse compared to my neons tetras, green rasboras and habrosus corydoras. But, from what I could gather, the brigittae will reach 3 cm. This from tropicalfishkeeping.com:

Boraras brigittae

Family: Cyprinidae, Subfamily Danioninae

Common Name: Mosquito Rasbora

Origin and Habitat: Endemic to southwestern Borneo, Indonesia. Occurs in dimly-lit and slow-moving quiet blackwater streams and ponds in forest peat swamps.

Compatibility/Temperament: Very peaceful, must be kept in a group of at least six but preferably nine or more. Given its small size it is best in smaller tanks as a group or with similar quiet fish such as the Trigonstigma rasbora species, dwarf cory species, dwarf loach species, Dario dario, etc. Best not kept with other species in the genus as they will likely cross-breed. Tends to be "lost" in larger aquaria.

Mosquito Rasbora Diet

Feeds on insects, small crustaceans and zoo-plankton in nature; readily accepts prepared foods, with frozen daphnia and brine shrimp ideal.

Size

Just over 1 inch (3 cm).

Research on my other fish suggest that the neon tetras will also be a 3 cm fish and the green rasboras and habrosus will be approximately 2 cm fish.

Right now, I think my problem is that I have juvenile brigittae and more mature greens and neons.

It is a standard 29H I believe. The neons have done great so far, but time will tell.

For the sake of the brigittae, I plan to add some floating plants, although I will have to upgrade my light to do it.

3 cm would be huge for brigittae. I've kept a couple of species in the genus and have never even had any quite reach one inch.

Stocking calculators should be taken with a grain of salt imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

So, it sounds like the 3 cm could be bad info from that site. Hopefully 2 cm or so can be reached.

Yeah, aqadvisor gave me no compatibility warnings. Also, the folks at Wetspots (where I ordered them from) didn't second guess my order and I discussed my tank inhabitants with them. I felt like I had done my research, and I had no concerns at all until I got these tiny fish into the tank.

I was just wondering what people's experiences with these fish had been. Severum Mama, your experience with them concerns me, but I think I will just have to let it play out.

Thankfully, I have plants, plenty of dw and lava rocks in the tank to provide security. I hate for them to feel like they have to hide all the time though. Would the floating plants give them more a safe feel as well?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, wetspot is right, it should totally work out, but fish are unpredictable. I think your main issue will be feeding. They do get large enough to accept very small pellet, but you may need to start off with something like golden pearls.

I'm glad you mentioned feeding. I currently feed hikari micropellets and a variety of frozen food. Wetspots said they should take the micropellets fine. Are these similar in size to golden pearls.

I haven't used those so I really don't know. Golden pearls come in different sizes, too. They almost look like powder. I get mine from Ken's Fish.

Back
Top Bottom