Nano fish for a 2.5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently saw the pygmy sunfish online, and I thought it would be cool to have one. But seeing how they are almost all endangered, and most likely caught in the wild, I have decided against it. I am choosing RCS and going to breed them, then get SB to clean up the baby shrimp. But do you have any information on the pygmy sunfish? They seem cool

Thanks,
Nils

There's one species of pygmy sunfish in alabama that is becoming endangered as it's range is dwindling down to a few streams, but the 4 main species are still extremely prolific and doing well. I believe that e.okatie is still doing well also, but since it's far from my area I don't know for sure. Elassoma zonatum (banded), Elassoma evergladei (everglades pygmy), and Elassoma gilberti (gulf coast) are all over the place. I assume the same goes for e.okefenokee.

This particular fish has made a niche out of living in ditches and low oxygen swamps, so it's probably not going anywhere soon.

Thanks for the answer!
Would they be able to live in a 2.5 gallon, and if so, what would I feed them? Also, do you know where I could get them?

Thanks,

Nils

You could probably do a pair in a 2.5. Territory wise, I wouldn't bother putting more in there, since the sub males won't color up. They spend a lot of their time suspended in and around plants, so when aquascaping do so in a way that kinda forces the into view, if possible.

They do need live food, grindal, daphnia and bbs work good. They will also take thawed bloodworms. Captive bred specimens may take to prepared foods a bit easier but I wouldn't count on it.

There's some good youtube vids and tons of info on the nanfa forum if you do end up considering these little fish.

As for where to find them, there's a couple of big sites that deal in them, and you may find them as well on aquabid or ebay. Or go get them yourself of course, if you are in range.

Ever see Strawberry Rasboras ? Tiny fish, not even an inch full grown. They are schoolers, so they don't do well alone, but even in a tank that size you could have five or so, if you kept an eye on the water and did lots of plants. Very cute, and while it would be best to have one male and the rest female, the males are not especially territorial. Sexing is not too hard, the boys have a much larger black blotch on their sides compared to the blotch on the girls. Super cute little guys, colourful too.

Badis, or dario, are lovely, but they are very shy and can be hard to feed. They may not eat unless you provide live food. They prefer to hide most of the time, and if you don't give them hiding places they'll be very stressed and not live long. And one male to one female may mean that female gets harassed. They are better with two or three females per male which is too many for that size tank. Full grown they are close to two inches long. And having two males is no good either, they'll fight each other, they are very territorial.

You could go with some guppies white clouds or a honey gourami

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My bad I was thinking 5g

Just to keep facts straight we were talking about Scarlet Badis aka Dario dario Scarlet badis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The males hit 3/4" females hit 1/2"

Badis badis are larger Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Badis

they hit 2-3". Similar name, different fish.

My SB were quite bold with plenty of cover.

Thanks for the clarification! Hey Nils, if you get any of the local stores to special order either of these fish for you please let me know so I can choose from the left overs!

Interesting. I have a pair of females that were sold to me as Dario dario. They are just shy of two inches long, tails included. Pale, pale yellow colour, with the barest suggestion of striping on the sides. If they aren't Dario, I wonder what species they are ? The male, sadly, did not live long, and I've been trying to find another. He had red and blue stripes. They were about 3/4 inch long when I got them and I've had them about 18 months now. They are very shy, and I rarely see them. Spend most of their time under the wood or rocks. Once in awhile they'll come out for a bit but not often.

How long do they live and if i get them do I need more than one female pr male

Hi Nils, I recommend indostomus paradox. Look it up, it only grows to 0.8inch and is very small

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recently added a small school of ember tetras to my 3g planted cube and I really like them. There is a little shop in Asheville that carries them if you're ever this way.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, the armored stickleback is very cool. I would choose that if I had the food, but I don't want to have to order anything like cultures or something to feed. I am sticking with one male SB, One Female SB (If I can get my hands on one), and a couple RCS on the bottom. Please give me some more information on its diet and any tips and tricks with the SB.

Thanks,

Nils

Thanks for all of the replies guys, the armored stickleback is very cool. I would choose that if I had the food, but I don't want to have to order anything like cultures or something to feed. I am sticking with one male SB, One Female SB (If I can get my hands on one), and a couple RCS on the bottom. Please give me some more information on its diet and any tips and tricks with the SB.

Scarlet badis are going to require small frozen or live foods

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom