nano tanks, why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't understand nano tanks. Why not have a normal tank. I see there are some that are 24+ gallons, but many are 5-6 gallons. They are pretty, but only seem useful for a betta. What with the room taken up by the decor, the fish only have maybe 2-3 gallons of space. I don't see filters and I've seen advertisement of just add "water" and low-maintenence. Seems just as bad as putting the fish in a bowl to me.

In most nano tanks fish aren't kept. nano tanks are usually under 25 gallons but I consider anyhting under 10 gallons to be a nano.

Most people just do it because it seems cool to them. Sorry about that bland explanation but you can't really describe it to people...

For me, once you have kept very large, large, medium, small tanks, in various configurations, you want to try something new. This is not for everyone.

In my case, I had a small space that I would normally have put a houseplant to bring a living thing to a bare corner, but I saw a friend's small bowl with thriving plants and a single guppy that looked very nice and really appealed to me esthetically. It is a challenge to keep this tank, but I really enjoy it, it is pretty, and the fish is apparently very happy. I tried another very small fish, actually smaller than the guppy, but the fish was obviously not happy and I changed him for the guppy.

He swims around, explores, and takes food off the tip of my finger. His color has improved since I first got him, so I feel comfortable that he is not suffering.

Finding small species of plants and pruning them, keeping them thriving so they filter the tank and provide oxygen is a challenge that I enjoy.

I hope that helps explain it, at least from my POV.

lol I thought this was for sw.

Kinda the same for fw but the only thing I would ever put in that small of a tank is a betta with at least some filtration

I agree with TG. I like nanos for the aquascaping and challenge potential, though I am a poor aquascaper. They are also cute :) I think of them as more for plants than fish.

Like TG said they can be quite interesting for the advanced aquarist, maybe a nice setup with dwarf shrimp in front of a lush green background, I would find that very appealing.

The problem is just that many newbies think it's a great way to start, it doesn't cost as much money as the bigger ones, is supposed to be easy and if they don't like the hobby they haven't wasted too much money. Most likely they will really quit the hobby, due to many disasters that will probably take place with their nano tanks as beginners.

See in Germany they don't have any nano tanks for beginners, not even really betta bowls. The smallest standart tank you'll find is about 15gal and that's what nearly all people start out with, if not even bigger.

The nanocube tanks are great, best small tank you can get IMO. When you consider that it comes with excellent fan cooled lighting, great multi-stage filtration, and a very seamless, great looking design they are a steal (i.e. black backround built in, hidden filter, hidden space for heater, hidden cords), especially the 12 gallon size. I used to have one with live plants a one dwarf puffer and it was a really good looking tank that didn't take up a lot of space.

WhenI think of nano tanks, I think 5 or less gallons FW and 20 or less gallons SW. It's much more difficult to maintain stable water parameters in a smaller tank, and I think it's that challenge that attracts people. Nano tanks are certainly not beginner tanks! Besides, it must be cool to have a reef tank, or a densely planted high-light tank on your desk or in the kitchen.

I would love to do a dwarf puffer planted nano some day. Right now I will have to settle for the 2 tanks I have been "approved" for by the wife. If it were up to me, tanks would be everywhere :)

I guess its cute enough for a water houseplant. I just hate seeing pictures of tiny ones with fish that shouldn't be in them.

Is Nano the actual brand of tank? Or is it a description of a small tank?

Right - QTOFFER said it - 5gal or under for FW and 20 or less for SW is considered "nano." It is actually a prefix that means one-billionth of whatever word follows, but it has become a colloquialism for a particularly small version of something.

DepotFish - you are not wrong to object to fish being kept in too-small containers, because this is so grossly unlike what they would experience in the wild. If planned carefully it can be done with particular animals, however. I personally think a betta would be too big for my 2gal bowl, since their bodies are much larger than a guppy and their demands on the water for their health are greater, but bettas have been adapted to live in small containers so they adjust better to it. Like czcz said, I think of them as being more for plants and inverts than fish.

I agree with you. I need tanks all over. :)
Just got my 2nd tank, and it's completed it's fishless cycle, adding my fish tomorrow. If things go well with my home refinance, will probably get a 75G next. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
If things go well with my home refinance, will probably get a 75G next. :)

Now there's someone after my own heart - refinance the mortgage to get more tanks.... *snif* that's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom