Nasty Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been setup for many months now but it has become seriously dirty with algae and limescale. There is a horrible limescale type stain around the water level which will not come off no matter how hard I scrub it. What I would like to do it empty the tank and put the fish into a temporary bucket while I give the tank a good clean. I have not done this before so would like some suggestions.

I plan on transferring 50% of the water out of the tank into a bucket and transfer the fish one by one. I will then take another bucket and transfer the remaining water into that bucket. I will then empty the tank and give it a good scrub with a brillo pad.

While the tank is empty, I am condering replacing the small gravel I currently have with Carbisea Eco Complete substrate. I am hoping this will give a more natural look and help keep my plants alive (for a change). Would this be a good idea, and is it easy to keep clean?

Once clean and eveything is back in place, I will use the water from the bucket to fill the tank half full, replace the fish, then top up the water until full.

Back
Top Bottom