Native Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have this spare 55 gallon and I was wondering if a sunfish (bluegill, redbreast, or green) with a bullhead catfish (yellow, spotted, or flat) would go good together. All fish are common here in my location and I guess i'm looking for something different. Also I already check my local game laws in more than seven in my aquarium and I cannot breed to sell but stock in my private owned pond is ok.

The flat bullhead would probly be yer best bet, IMO, IIRC they stay smaller than either the brown or yellow (9"-12" vs. 14"+). Likewise, bluegills are a little beefier than either of the other two, so I'd steer away there.

Kinda unclear from yer post, do ya have a pond? If ya have a pond ya could move 'em to, ya could grow 'em out in the 55 and move 'em to the pond later. For a long term permanent home a 55 is a little small for any of those fish, IMO.

Do ya have access to orange spotted sunfish? IMO, they are the prettiest of the sunfish and generally don't get much larger than 4" or so. Throw in a coupla native madtom catfish (don't have any idea what species are native to MS) and ya have a similarly themed tank on a smaller scale, with fish that will be able to stay housed in a 55 for their natural lifespan. Might take a little more effort to collect the fish, but it would be fun doin' so.

WYite

I've kept Green sunfish and bullheads together in a 55 gallon tank, and as WYite said over the long term the tank just isn't big enough. They do well when they are smaller, but as they mature to full size you will start to lose fish. Greens and Bluegills both are very territorial. A male Green protecting its nest will stand up to a bass.

Wy Renegade said:
I've kept Green sunfish and bullheads together in a 55 gallon tank, and as WYite said over the long term the tank just isn't big enough. They do well when they are smaller, but as they mature to full size you will start to lose fish. Greens and Bluegills both are very territorial. A male Green protecting its nest will stand up to a bass.

Yeah my pond has dried up but i'm slowly filling it again and I figure I can start stocking it back up. So I may just use it as a grow out for the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom