Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

natural light only

can it be done? or will it result in an algae takeover? i have a spot for my 30 where it would receive natural light very well all day. the 30 in question has a sand substrate, emperor 400 filtration and will be housing tetras and apistos. if any of that matters. i have plastic plants to go in it right now, but could certainly put live ones in to use up that extra light. what do you think? tia

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

it might work, it might be an algae explosion. you'll have no control at all over lighting, let alone the heat that'll come from direct sunlight.

i personally wouldn't do it

Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #3

what do you have to lose? i would put live plants in it, place it there and draw your own conclusions. you will know fairly quick if algae is going to take over and can take measures to correct it, or move the tank. if you dont want the hassle, then forget it. if your the experimental type, experiment. you never know until you try.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
I have a 2gal with floating plants and stuff right by my window with a few feeder guppies in it, I never get algea. Very weird, but its true. I would monitor the temp while cycling, just make sure it doesnt get too hot. Good luck

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i don't think temperature would be an issue. it would be in an air conditioned room with an ambient temp. around 70. i'm sure being in direct sunlight would effect it a little, but i'm sure it wouldn't raise it more than a few degrees above the room temp, leaving the heater to do it's job like normal.
how about this: at my work we put up u.v. blocking window tint to keep the glare and temp. down; if i tinted the windows supplying the light to the tank, wouldn't it essentially "cut out" the spectrum of natural light that would potentially cause algae growth?

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
Old 08-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
I'm trying it right now - here's my thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=84394

I'm happy so say there's not been a spot of algae since set up. I'd recommend live plants as well, as I think the fast growing plants got a hold before the algae. The tank also stays about 2 - 3 degrees above room temp, so the heat is not an issue. I say go for it!

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanx for chiming in mosaic. i'm going to try to find a copy of that book soon, sounds like a good read. i'm curious about where your tank is set up... for instance, how far away from the window, how many window's, does it get direct light all day or is part of the day indirect...??
and does anyone know approximately how many wpg natural light would supply? i'm sure it varies through the day, but lets say at high noon for a 30 gal. is it even measured in watts, or does it change to some measurement i'm not aware of?

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com