Natural pygmy cory cat fish behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to do some research for sure, but i also wanted to ask those of you on this forum that have had or do have pygmy/dwarf catfish a few questions!

Is it normal for them to rest for long periods? Just laying there, being adorable? Mine do this and it seems normal. They like to pigpile on each other too haha.

It is so cute when they forage around on the sand.... :)

Sometimes when they are swimming around it looks like they are shaking a little, but I think it is just because they are SO fast and tiny... :)

Is there any concerning behavior that I should look out for with these little guys? I have c. pygmaeus.

not ryly on the watch out but make sure they eat is all i can say im getting some soon too

They kinda pick at it, but, we definitely feed them :) May try a different food but we got some for them in the meantime.

What size tank are they going to be in and regular catfish or pygmy/dwarf?

cory cats or dwarf cats need from 10-20 gallons and on other cat depends lol

I feed pygmy Cories frozen baby brine shrimp. They love those. Mine like to rest on plant leaves. Pymaeus and hastatus both often swim mid tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coursair
:)

Mine rest a lot on the sand, not much for plants in the tank yet (we have one small purple leafy silk plant) since it is a QT tank idea for now. We bought them a piece of Malaysian wood (I was thinking we wouldn't use it until after they've been treated) and the tank with the betta has a lot of fake silk plants and stuff in there I think they'd like. I also want to get a sunk log for them that would be betta safe too if we can find one. But maybe the wood would suffice for that.

They've been swimming a decent amount mid level though and they dart so so fast up to the top for a gulp of air. They're so cute. They also pig pile on each other. Or catfish pile, haha.

We have two siphons. Kind of by accident. Should we keep one to one tank and one to the other? The smaller one is better for sucking stuff up though.

And what about test tubes? I do have 2 extras, technically three. Should they be kept out of both tanks?

When would it be safe to use them in both tanks again or rather, when would it be safe to use what was in the catfish tank in the big tank?
Didn't really think of that till today. I think the siphon may already been in both. And we used the same device to scoop sand from the 10g to the 5g.

Hope our betta wasn't possibly exposed :(

Back
Top Bottom