natural tank decorations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I can't talk about my fish right now and to talk about a rotting piece of prawn is a limited subject, I might as well think about changing my tank decorations.

Can you use any terracotta pots or do you have to prepare them somehow?
What kind of rocks can you use. Is there something to watch out for and how do you prepare those?

If you want the terracotta, you should get unused ones. I have seen them for pretty inexpensive at michaels or some other craft store. Depending on the look you want for rocks, I guess a lot of people have used slate. The rocks I have in my aquarium came from the dollar store in a bag labeled "River rocks" You can get these almost everywhere. Are you wanting to add plants as well?

I have not given it any thought yet. I might. I do not know, what light requirements there are. I am a bit hesitant having to add fertilizer and so on.

First I have to beat this tank in the cycling issue and teach him who the master is!

I have had no problems using terracotta in my aquarium, I just scrub it in warm water and then allow it to sit for a while.

As to rocks most rocks are fine as long as you clean them thoroughly preferably boiling them, but beware of things like limestone which will dissolve minerals into the water...unless you are keeping African Ciclids and want harder water-even then there are better ways-.

If you consider using driftwood this requires a lot more preparation than rocks and will need to be cured. This involves leaving it in water for a couple of weeks and/or boiling it, even when boiled it should be submerged for at least a week so any tannins etc can leach out. That said if you buy driftwood from an aquarium supplier most of this should have been done, it is still advisable to boil it though. This is all unless you wish to lower your pH...and again there are probably better ways to do this.

Hope that helps...

do the vinegar test for the rocks. Drop vinegar on the rocks - if they sizzle throw them off. I usually boil the rocks after the vinegar test for 30 minutes - that kills any microorganisms it may carry. then just make structures out of them using aquarium glue. The fish just love structures like caves. :):)

What about minerals or metals in the rock that could potentially harm the fish?
Does driftwood from the ocean have traces of oil in them and how would you get rid of that?

Back
Top Bottom