Natural way to lower ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guggiboy123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I was wondering what are some ways to naturally lower ph in a tank. I don't want to add any chemicals to lower I want to d it all natural. I heard that driftwood can lower ph but I'm not sure if that true. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If it's aquarium-safe wood then the fish should be fine, although you want to take certain precautions and do things such as boil the wood first (or pour boiling water over it) to kill anything harmful living on it.

Here's another useful link that will give you a good idea on what types of wood to use and what types to avoid: Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The most common types of bogwood or driftwood are mopani and malaysian driftwood. These can be found at most LFSs or a lot of people buy them off of eBay or other online vendors.

If it's aquarium-safe wood then the fish should be fine, although you want to take certain precautions and do things such as boil the wood first (or pour boiling water over it) to kill anything harmful living on it.

Here's another useful link that will give you a good idea on what types of wood to use and what types to avoid: Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The most common types of bogwood or driftwood are mopani and malaysian driftwood. These can be found at most LFSs or a lot of people buy them off of eBay or other online vendors.

Ok so does every type of driftwood lower ph or is it just bog wood

No not all DW lowers ph. The safest and most controlable method of lower ph is to cut your tap water with RO water when doing WC's. What is your ph and why do you want to lower it?

No not all DW lowers ph. The safest and most controlable method of lower ph is to cut your tap water with RO water when doing WC's. What is your ph and why do you want to lower it?

Ok sorry but what is RO water. My ph is 8.2 and I was told that to keep plants you want it to be lower than that.

RO water is Reverse Osmosis Water. You can often buy it pretty cheaply at alot of grocery stores. It's usually in those big fill yourself water stations but do ask to be sure it is indeed RO water. Fish stores often carry RO water also.

Most plants can adjust to a higher ph. There are only a few plants like Bolbitus and Rotala Wallichii that won't do well in such water. Were it me I'd get some plants that are suitable to grow in your lighting and try them before trying to change your water. Try getting some Anubia, Java Fern, and Java Moss and see how they do. They all do best attached to DW. Also what type lighting and bulbs do you have?

RO water is Reverse Osmosis Water. You can often buy it pretty cheaply at alot of grocery stores. It's usually in those big fill yourself water stations but do ask to be sure it is indeed RO water. Fish stores often carry RO water also.

Most plants can adjust to a higher ph. There are only a few plants like Bolbitus and Rotala Wallichii that won't do well in such water. Were it me I'd get some plants that are suitable to grow in your lighting and try them before trying to change your water. Try getting some Anubia, Java Fern, and Java Moss and see how they do. They all do best attached to DW. Also what type lighting and bulbs do you have?

I only have one 18 inch t 8 15 watt 5000k bulb but I'm getting another one very soon

Good way to lower your PH naturally is making some tannis out of leaves. A friend of mine has a good recipe I will PM it to you when I talk to him.

Right now I only have jungle Val anacharis and a type of anubias not exactly sure what type

You have pretty low light so those plants along with Crypts and Java Ferns are pretty much it for your tank right now. And none of these plants need softer water so your fine using yours as it is.

The problem with adding tannins to lower ph is that it must continuely be added to keep ph at the desired level. It's much easier to cut your tap water with ro water and use during weekly water changes. But in your case why try to fix what isn't broken. You truely don't need to worry about it. When you start trying to adjust ph if you don't keep the ph steady it's hard on both fish and plants.

You have pretty low light so those plants along with Crypts and Java Ferns are pretty much it for your tank right now. And none of these plants need softer water so your fine using yours as it is.

The problem with adding tannins to lower ph is that it must continuely be added to keep ph at the desired level. It's much easier to cut your tap water with ro water and use during weekly water changes. But in your case why try to fix what isn't broken. You truely don't need to worry about it. When you start trying to adjust ph if you don't keep the ph steady it's hard on both fish and plants.

Ok thanks for the advice bit with the light thing once I get another t8 5000k bulb to you think I could try dwarf sag and an amazon sword

Yeah I probably should have asked why you wanted to lower your ph in the first place lol but I agree w/ rivercat if its ant broke don't fix it. ESP with aquarium bred specmins your ph is fine.

Yeah I probably should have asked why you wanted to lower your ph in the first place lol but I agree w/ rivercat if its ant broke don't fix it. ESP with aquarium bred specmins your ph is fine.

Alright thanks for the offer though

An extra bulb won't hurt but try getting one that is 6000-6700K. Dwarf Sag might work but not sure about the Sword. Alot of crypt get pretty big and they would grow perfectly fine in that light and ph.

Back
Top Bottom