nature's ocean aragonite sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanando7510

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use nature's ocean aragonite sand in a freshwater tank or do I have to wash it out? I'm going to be breeding cherry reds in half the tank and dream blue in the other half. I have slate in the tank for cover on the side with java moss and moss balls.

You may want to check the pH, GH, and KH of the tank (if it is setup) and of the source water as aragonite will increase all three.
What are you using as a tank divider?

You may want to check the pH, GH, and KH of the tank (if it is setup) and of the source water as aragonite will increase all three.
What are you using as a tank divider?
I'm having a friend make me a plastic divider

I'm having a friend make me a plastic divider

Any idea what the hole/pore size will be? Shrimp fry if VERY small and may find a way past the divider.
I once considered dividing a tank. If I did, I would use a 2” thick fine poret sponge. Cut a little on the larger side so if fits snuggly in the tank.

Any idea what the hole/pore size will be? Shrimp fry if VERY small and may find a way past the divider.
I once considered dividing a tank. If I did, I would use a 2” thick fine poret sponge. Cut a little on the larger side so if fits snuggly in the tank.
Oh im going to look into that thanks. What has me worried is the sand tho at the moment.

It's a 6.5gal tank

Going back to your original question, rinsing/washing the aragonite will only remove dust. It will not change its buffering capacity. Meaning, if it releases substances to raise pH and hardness then rinsing won’t change this.
I’m in a similar boat regarding substrate. I have a 20g with a very fine layer of black sand (tons of mosses) and a 6.6g with no substrate. RCS in the 20 and yellow neos in the 6.6g. Shrimp are feeding and breeding decently in both tanks, however, I’ve been advised that fry yield would increase with the addition of substrate (the idea is that there would be more surface area for biofilm). With neos I could probably get away with an inert substrate or an active shrimp specific substrate (one that lowers pH, GH, and KH). It’s just that the bare bottom tank is so much cleaner.

Going back to your original question, rinsing/washing the aragonite will only remove dust. It will not change its buffering capacity. Meaning, if it releases substances to raise pH and hardness then rinsing won’t change this.
I’m in a similar boat regarding substrate. I have a 20g with a very fine layer of black sand (tons of mosses) and a 6.6g with no substrate. RCS in the 20 and yellow neos in the 6.6g. Shrimp are feeding and breeding decently in both tanks, however, I’ve been advised that fry yield would increase with the addition of substrate (the idea is that there would be more surface area for biofilm). With neos I could probably get away with an inert substrate or an active shrimp specific substrate (one that lowers pH, GH, and KH). It’s just that the bare bottom tank is so much cleaner.
Okay thanks for that. I have I believe it's a 39gal bowl front I has 22 shrimp in there and my dragon fish started eating them when the java fern died. So I have them segregated right now. I might just put 1/2 inch of the substrate and give it a few hours to see where all my levels are at.

Back
Top Bottom