Need a bright pink fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 1 serpae tetra, 1 buenos aires tetra, 1 spotted Cory, 1 dalmation Molly, 1 male guppy and 1 cherry barb they aremoving into a 55g and I will be adding more of each species but in order for me to do this my wife wants me to get a bright pink fish and have no idea what to get. It doesn't matter if it's a community or a centerpiece fish I just need options please

That might be a little tough. If you want a fish with bright pink ON it you could get a pair of peacock gudgeons which have beautiful pink stripes. Or you could look for a pink guppy.

allaboutfish said:
some glofish are pink

+1. My wife absolutely loves our pink Glofish (genetically modified zebra danios). They're also very active, peaceful and entertaining community fish.

I don't know if your going for natural, but glofish are a vivid pink, I also remember seeing a pink guppy somewhere. I don't see very many pink fish around

i wouldn't recommend them, as i'm sure the way they are pigmented is probably cruel, but last time i was at walmart they had "mixed fruit" tetras. they were really cool looking (all different colors), but after a quick google, i realized they are not naturally colored that way, and probably inhumanely dyed. not sure though, would have to do some research.

mommytron said:
i wouldn't recommend them, as i'm sure the way they are pigmented is probably cruel, but last time i was at walmart they had "mixed fruit" tetras. they were really cool looking (all different colors), but after a quick google, i realized they are not naturally colored that way, and probably inhumanely dyed. not sure though, would have to do some research.

The Glofish are genetically modified, not dyed or injected. They were originally intended to detect pollution in rivers and streams. Scientists altered their DNA to cause them to be fluorescent and to lose the "glow" in levels of high pollution.

It wasn't until later that they realized that people in the aquarium trade would be interested in them.

They are born this way since it is genetics, that's why they're trademarked, patented and illegal to breed and sell.

The Glofish are genetically modified, not dyed or injected. They were originally intended to detect pollution in rivers and streams. Scientists altered their DNA to cause them to be fluorescent and to lose the "glow" in levels of high pollution.

It wasn't until later that they realized that people in the aquarium trade would be interested in them.

They are born this way since it is genetics, that's why they're trademarked, patented and illegal to breed and sell.

Yup. They're altered with DNA from jellyfish I believe. The "mixed fruit" tetras however, are not genetically modified like the Glofish. I'm pretty sure they are injected with dye.

mommytron said:
Yup. They're altered with DNA from jellyfish I believe. The "mixed fruit" tetras however, are not genetically modified like the Glofish. I'm pretty sure they are injected with dye.

They are. Its very cruel, and I liked them when I first saw them, but after I learned that, the only reason I look at them is to tell my mom or dad that no we are not getting them!

mommytron said:

Yeah, I think it was jellyfish and sea coral...if I remember. I don't have a problem buying Glofish (though I probably wouldn't eat them, lol), but I'm also against any fish that is dyed.

A betta? Err..can't really come up with something off the top of my head. Pink kissing gouramis are pink but get too huge. I know some killifish are pink....

Pink kissing gourami ??? Glofish are cool and there are some glass fish with pink but I'm sure they are injected... Idk how they could look that way naturally

You found live fish at walmart?!?!? :lol:

gardneri clown killifish are kinda pinkish also.

I have some rrea redgrass thai guppies that are kinda pink but not like the fluoro pink you'd get from the glofish

Back
Top Bottom