Need a new filter, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night our tetra whisper 30 filter crapped out. I'm going to get a new one today. We have a 30 gallon tank and recently have been having and issue with a lot of ditrius build up on the filter media fairly quickly. Any suggestions on a new filter?

I can't recommend aquaclear enough. I've had these filters for decades and love them. I would suggest the AC50 for your tank. it should be able to keep it sparkling. lol

Aquarium Advice newbie but not a newbie to aquarium fish.
And AquaClears are worth every penny. I'd suggest a pre-filter sponge on the intake to keep mulm/debris out of the impeller housing and the filter should last for years.

Dennis

+1 to everyone who recommended AquaClear.

I'm in the process of replacing the Aqueon Quietflow filters on my tanks with AquaClear filters. The filter design is the best out there, as it has a basket large enough for their great filter media, any bio-media add-on like ceramic rings, and anything else you may add, like some seeding material to speed up a fishless cycle. The motor on an AquaClear is arguably the quietest you'll find on the market. And people on these boards have hailed the AquaClear motor as the best for sandy substrate, as it doesn't clog like others will.

Last night our tetra whisper 30 filter crapped out. I'm going to get a new one today. We have a 30 gallon tank and recently have been having and issue with a lot of ditrius build up on the filter media fairly quickly. Any suggestions on a new filter?

The AC50 is a great fit for a 30g, but I wouldn't cover the intake with a sponge, the gunk in the tank won't harm your impeller and it's allow the sponge and biomedia to do the job they're there to do. I'd also suggest that you save the carbon pack that comes with every AC filter and put poly-fil in the middle slot (above sponge/below biomedia), it's the best fine filter media IMO/E. Make sure to save the media from your old filter and put part of it in the new one to seed it and try to avoid a mini-cycle.

Back
Top Bottom