Need a pleco expert for info on possible purchase...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is the deal. I was browsing through the classifieds last night when I came across an ad that basically said: 55 gallon tank with hood, 2 lights, stand, heater, sponge filter, an 8 inch pleco (common I am assuming), 4 rasboras, some other unknown fish, and a zebra pleco. They wanted $100 OBO so of course I gave them a call.

My question is, how many different types of "zebra pleco" are there? I think I remember at least 2, one of which I know can be pretty expensive (upwards of $200 each on aquabid) and I think the others go for about $50 if I am right. I am guessing that it is the less expensive one which to me would still be a great deal. The type of zebra pleco in no way is going to make or break this deal for me if they still have the tank but I need to know how many types there are of "zebra plecos" so if anybody knows, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

For plans for the tank, I think I am going to wait until I see what the "unknown" fish are that come with it but I pretty much plan on getting rid of the 8 inch common pleco and rasboras to start with either way. I may use it as a discus tank or simply for more room for my GBR's. (JChillin is prolly laughing at me right now LOL). I may keep the zebra pleco but I guess that all depends on what I plan on doing with the tank. How large do each species of zebra pleco get? I am off to try and do some research on them.

There is only one type of zebra pleco (hypancistrus zebra), but there are many different types of Hypancistrus species, Queen Arabesque Pleco is the closest realted. Hypancistrus species are carnivorous. Zebra plecos get about 3", most other hypancistruss species get about the same length.

Sorry, but i truly doubt is is a zebra pleco.

I also found a "chocolate zebra" which looks nothing like the L046. I understand what you are saying about it most likely not being a zebra pleco. They are very expensibe and the people most likely don't know what they have.

So the Queen Arabesque looks like the zebra? Maybe this is what I was thinking about when browsing in the pleco section. I tried contacting the seller/lister but so far no response. Maybe it is gone or was a joke. I will wait and see. Off to see what a Queen Arabesque pleco looks like. Thanks for the response, I know very little about plecos.

EDIT: I think this is what I saw before:http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1182883534

Apparently they are called "zebra plecos" or yellow king plecos. L333 BTW.

There are a few false Zebras that I have come across. The stripes are not as wide and are not as straight. A lfs employee tried to pawn it off as the real Zebra pleco. I didn't catch the name.

I happen to agree on the numerous forms that the false zebra pleco one can come across in the hobby. If it were indeed a "true" zebra, you would have been asked to fork over some serious $$$ as they are indeed rare, cannot be imported any longer and I know of only one breeder who offers them and he has a waiting list about a mile long.

If you happen to get a similar pleco, it's not a worry, all plecos are fabulous and the zebra types are especially cute.

(JChillin is prolly laughing at me right now LOL).

A GBR in every tank...and another tank to boot? Yep, I'm in stitches. :ROFLMAO:

There are some very striking black and white plecos that aren't the L46 that everyone is crazy over. Lots of muddier-colored striped ones, too. I'd say if the fish appeals to you you're getting a great deal whether it's an L46 or not. :)

Okay here's what I found out: the tank is being sold by a girl about 25 miles from me. She doesn't think she will be able to take care of the tank because of school etc. and she wants it gone. I have basically committed to purchasing the thing but I won't be able to get it until Monday or so because of my work schedule and a graduation party for my sister on Sunday...so next week at the earliest. I had to sort of verbally commit to it because she had other callers and I was looking for another tank and I could't let this deal slip.

It comes with a lot of stuff (river sized gravel ~50lbs, 5 or so plastic plants, a "real log" <<<her words lol, and a fake log, heater, sponge filter, what sounds like a biowheel filter (she said Emperor) that may need cleaning, hoods w/lights, stand, 4 rasboras, a common pleco about 8 inches long, some fish that are yellow and dark stripped (I asked her to send pics) and a "zebra" pleco. I asked if it was more solid chocolate colored with thin squiggley white lines and she said "no" so that rules out the chocolate zebra pleco. Then I asked her how long it was and she said three inches or so, then I asked how long she has had it and she said more than 10 months or so. She got it from her sister and it was "really expensive". She also told me that it had sort of curved lines as FishyFanatic was hinting at. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference at this point...little experience with plecos.

I am guessing that "really expensive" means over $30 and I am assuming that it isn't an L046, which I am okay with. Like I said before, it won't make or break this deal but it sure would have made it sweeter. Seeing as how it will most likely stay at 3.5 inches I will be tempted to keep it. By the way, I am aware that I typed everything that comes with the tank AGAIN but that should just go to show you how excited I am lol. Discus tank anyone? Possibly a trio of some cool apistos. Maybe a pair of Bolivians too. I think I am going to sell off some of the "accessories" and put in a different filter. I like the HOB that come with the AGA kits with the cartridges. Thanks for the info guys/gals.

I prefer the one they call the Butterfly Pleco when it comes to lighter colored striped Plecos, I'm not a big fan of the horizontal stripes.

Back
Top Bottom