need a snail??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys and gals, got a snail question:
My daughter has been bugging me to get one of those big snails at the lfs.
I tried doing a little research on the subject, but thought you guys would give me the down and dirty. Can I put a bigger size snail in with my 5 clown loaches? Will they eat it? They are under 3" still, and it should still be quite a while before I move them from my 90 g. community tank to a bigger tank.
I see apple snails, and mystery snails. Would either of these be appropriate?? How many should I have, if so?? Will they reproduce profusely and overrun my tank?? Will they eat my dozen or so plants or my moss balls?? tia, I appreciate any and all opinions!!

PetSmart carries Mystery Snails. I think the Golden ones are the best looking, but that's just an opinion. Whatever floats you boat is good. I have a picture thread here. You can see the snail I have. Unfortunately I can't tell you if the Loaches will try to snack on it as I don't have any. These don't mate like crazy as far as I know, and the biggest problem people have is starvation of these things. If the Loaches don't eat it, it might be hard getting food to it. I have some plants in my tank, and it doesn't eat the plants.

Loaches will probably try to eat it. They can definitely eat the smaller ones. I don't know how large the snails have to be before they leave them alone.
Apple snails and mystery snails are the same thing, and refer generally to the larger species of aquatic snail. Some species are rather voracious plant eaters, but the Pomacea bridgesii are the most common apple snails, so you'll probably end up with one of those without too much worry. They will also leave your moss balls alone, since I believe algae eating animals will not eat them, and apple snails aren't really great algae eaters to begin with. They have distinct sexes and you need both a male and female to reproduce. If you only get one, you'll never have to worry. Even if you did get more than one, it is easy to control their population since they lay egg clutches above the water line, which you could just scrape off. I'd get more than one, just because I'm biased and think they're a lot of fun. Even if you get just one, you'll go back to get more. It's even worth setting up their own tank for them if the loaches are a problem. They're totally worth it.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking about it a little harder now. The lfs has some cool blue ones about 1.5" in diameter, maybe next time we go to the city, I may bring one or two home!! Thanks, again.

The loaches may be fine with them for a few days, but they will eat your snail(s) regardless of how large either are. It takes a while for the snail to peak their interest but when they do it's good night. I feed my clowns a pond snail snack every now and again. Instead of days its hours now.

Bummer!! Maybe I'll put one or two in the betta's 10 gallon as a companion pet. Should be safe in there. Thanks y'all!!

That's an even better idea. My betta flares at my snails, it's hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom